close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Little Miami Questions

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Fishman, May 27, 2004.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

From what I can tell, the Little Miami looks like it would be great for just about anything that lives in the Ohio River. I live near Newtown and was wondering what to expect if I were to fish in the immediate vicinity. Most of the areas look GREAT for catfish channels and flatheads alike, but other parts look awsome for smallies. I suppose as soon as the river comes down I'll be able to answer most of these questions myself, but out of curiosity how is the fishing on it in this neck of the woods.

The first shot I get I plan on fishing it with shiners - hoping to catch a little bit of everything. One thing I have not been able to find to access points, and I have looked around a bit. I'm not looking for anyone to give away their secret spots, but at the same time I don't want to fish where everyone else fishes. If anyone ever has some free time would you like to hook up and see if we can't get into some fish?

Oh, one more thing! Hows the carp fishing in it?

2. Homey

Homey OGF Parrot Head

I don't know about Newtown, but up in the Milford/Loveland/Kings Mills area I have caught smallies, carp & catfish. Others have done better than I, though.

3. Hey fishman I can tell you where you can park to get access to the river across from the golf course.also with the river up you should be able to catch cats this weekend.Daryl

4. I’m not that familiar with the Newtown area, but I’m always looking for someone to complete a shuttle for smallie hunting on the LMR (kayak or canoe). Send me a PM if your interested!

5. amazing189

amazing189 Member

Rooster,
    Have you been fishing from a kayak for long? I just purchased one & took it out for the first time this morning. I was wondering if you had any pointers. I was a bit aprehensive for the first 15 mins. or so. But once I got a little more comfortable, I really enjoyed myself (and I didn't even fall out..haha). I mainly fish a little lake here in Landen, but if I get confident enough, I may venture out to the LM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Danny

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Truck, the rivers down here still look awfully high and its raining as I type this :( I'm dieing to get out there and try it.

I think I know what golf course you're talking about, the Miami Golf course I think its called. Where abouts can I park down there? I didn't really see anywhere that looked public enough to park.

7. catking

catking Banned

Hey fishman- This is an EXCELLENT river for carp, cats, bass, you name it, it has it. It also has about a million access points through out the area. There is a bike trail that runs along this river for probably 50 miles or so. It's old train tracks that have been paved. Many areas have parking and you can walk this trail and fish this river in many spots. Loveland, Morrow, Lebanon, the list is endless. Do a serch on the web for Little Miami River points of interest. I'm telling ya, there are literally THOUSANDS of nice points of access and fishing. CATKING

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Don't forget wipers .......they are in there too.

9. In the 30+ years I've been fishing the LM, I've caught smallmouth bass, rock bass, sauger, sheepshead, which I think of as the big 4. 95% of what I catch are these four. But I've also caught white bass, Kentucky spotted bass, bluegill, longear sunfish, pumpkinseed, white crappie, walleye, gizzard shad, channel cat, carp. Once I had a three-foot muskellunge I hooked go berserk two feet in front of me and throw the lure back in my face, and last night for the first time I hooked a gar--it leaped and threw the lure. Smallies are king, though, and the river is great for them. At night, it's channel cats. There are 7-8 pound sheepheads (drum) which are powerful and fun to catch on spinning gear. And, I'm not kidding, 35 years ago, when my little brother was six, with a bobber, worm and a cane pole he caught a brook trout. I have no idea what it was doing there, but I know a brookie when I see one. It was small, about seven inches, but had oversized eyes. That's what's really fun about the LM. You never know what's coming next. I hear there are stripers in there too, but I've never hooked one.

10. fallen513

fallen513 M.saxatilis x M.chrysops

PM Sent.

(edit: Tried to send PM, inbox full)