close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Little Miami Float

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshnteachr, Aug 19, 2007.

1. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I floated the LMR today and had a great time. Gotta get back to teaching the kids tomorrow so tonight officialy ends my summer.

Some folks have been inquiring about the rivers and kayaks so I thought it would be fun to document my float.

I put in at Trebein Road and floated down to Washington Mill Road. It took me roughly seven hours. There are a few more downed trees than normal since last week's storm in the Beavercreek area, especially between Trebein and 35.

At one piont today it started pouring, man I got soaked, but managed to hide under a big tree for awhile. I met a fellow OGF member, a really nice guy, we fished together for awhile and eventually parted ways. (By the way, I forget your username, send me a PM)

A lot of great cover for Bass in the Trebein to Indian Ripple Road stretch. The river is very narrow with a lot of great holes to fish. Once you pass The Narrows (Indian Riffle) this river gets wider and there is much less structure to fish, even though still good places to fish.

The river is really shallow, did some walking today for sure, but all in all, it wasn't too bad. The bad part is once you pass The Narrows, the recreational canoe traffic picks up. Not too bad today, but enough to annoy. :)

Game warden was "hiding" close to Washington Mill. He was standing in the brush, about scared the pants off me, I guess he was looking for cabrewers.

Some nice wildlife out there, saw some deer, a lot of turtles, and even a couple snakes.

Overall, I only caught 7 fish, all smallies and one largemouth. However, all but one were 12 inches or bigger. The largemouth was 14 inches. Picture linked below.

If you haven't enjoyed the rivers around here, you need to do so. We are lucky to have such good fishing rivers in our area. There is nothing better than a peaceful float down the river.

Sorry to hog up so much space, but just wanted to share my day. Looking forward to the tourney!

[​IMG]

2. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

did you catch a 14 smallmouth with my spinner in his mouth?

3. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

Just FYI...That is a Spotted bass in your pic...I know it can be confusing, but I thought I would let you know. Nice fish though!!

4. fshnteachr

Nope, but there is a 12 inch smallmouth out there with a rebek craw in his mouth

5. fshnteachr

I stand corrected.....looked up some info on spotted bass and now I know...they sure look like a largemouths.

6. i would call that fish a very spotted bass looking largemouth, but a largemouth, got me all excited too, a 14in spot would be one beast of a spot, still a nice fish though

7. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Nice fish Teach, I with rk on this one looks like a largemouth. No red eye. Did it have a red eye teach if so then it would be spot. Glad you had a great before getting back to school. S

8. I did a float with my stepson on sat. We had a great time and caught a lot of smallies on pop-r's and tubes. Most of the topwater fish were on the smaller size but several nice ones on tubes including a pig Caleb caught. He was just starting to whine about me catching all the fish when I put my rod down and started trying to show him where to cast. We had just floated through a riffle and sat on the edge of a beautiful eddy, I pointed and said to try right there, first cast he ignores me and throws to the middle of the river, second cast- he's still ignoring me and increasing his whine. I say, Caleb try right there by the rocks and that tree, Finally he listens and casts right on the edge of the edy, he lets it sink, then it starts swimming away. He set the hook and I thought it was going to pull him out of the canoe, after an intense fight and several jumps we boat the bass and he's (thank god) all grins! As the sun is starting to go down he suddenly has changed his mind, he no longer wants to go home and watch high school musical on the disney channel, now he's trying to convince me that we could go home and get the tent and come back and camp all night and fish of course! Now the only problem is my stepdaughter is now mad that she didn't get to fish and wants to go next time. -Sporto[​IMG]

9. Red The Fisherman

Red The Fisherman River Rambler

Nice job! I think it's a Kentucky spotted Bass.

10. LMRsmallmouth

YUP...see attached
    http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=35

Largies have a semi forked tail....cant always go by the eyes in a pic. I am betting reddish eyes on this fish if you were there with it. Not arguing, just figured I could help with identification. The chance of catching a Largmouth in the LMR is SIGNIFICANTLY less than catching a spot. Not many largies, but a fair # of spots. I have caught 1 largmouth in the last 7 yrs there....many spots.

11. fshnteachr

No red eye on this baby.....just black. The Ohio record Spot is 5 pounds and change, this guy was half that if he was in fact a spot.

Regardless of what he was, who cares, I just love fishing!

12. Sleprock

tellem teach lol!!!!

13. LMR smallie, only to add to the confusion...:D I often fish the upper section referred to and have taken many largemouths in that area as it has feeders from several oxbows and gravel pits loaded with LM Bass. for the record, I have never seen a spot this far up the LMR. I always thought the only real test was the tongue teeth???

Salmonid

14. well i guess i will make the confusion further, spots and largemouth are both pretty common in the river, in the bottom 20 or so miles more largemouth and as you go up you see more spots, above spring valley i have caught more spots personally but i am not up past there often (smallies still te over the other two everywhere). the reason i would say it is a LMB is because of the size of the mouth in relation to the body. however its mouth should be closed for a positive ID so i still could be wrong, but i see enough of both that i feel pretty confident with my id. frankly i still like teachers idea on it, its a bass and a fish is a fish and is awsome

also sporto the pic with the kid and the smallmouth, just awesome

15. LMRsmallmouth

Teeth on the tongue is an excellent way to tell also. But the easiest Visual way for me is looking at the lateral line (broken or "spotted") and the tail. Also, a largemouth bass's mouth when closed will extend beyond the eyeballs. The fish in the pic has an open mouth so it is hard to tell, but sure looks WAY to small to extend beyond the eye. Doesn't really matter to me, dead discussion, and I am only 99.9% sure it is a spot...lol You still could be 1 in a 1000 right. I will give in and call it a Largie if you want me too. but...

16. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I am going to go with teach its a great fish and that is the main thing. I guess we could call in the odnr fisheries department send the pic to the FBI crime lab and have digitally enhanced then have the biologist anylize the pic for positive Id, Teach do have any slime left over from the fish we could do dna sampling. Ok enough csi, svu and law and order for me. Nice fish:) S

17. fshnteachr

I wasn't trying to be rude....did it sound that way?

18. LMRsmallmouth

I didn't take you as rude teach...no worries..nice fish.

19. fshnteachr

Also, if you guys go back to my original post, I was trying to say how great fishing the LMR is.....the fish species is irrevalant to me, I just love fishing! Anyhow, it has been fun reading all the opinions of the fish.

How about this, during the tourny on the 1st, I will catch him AGAIN and we can have a discussion on the river, how's that?! :)

I love it!

20. Sleprock

whatever he was bring him to the weigh-in looks bassy enough for me lol!!!

heck i may bring in some 18" rockbass if i catch any!!!lol