close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Little help

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by rolland, Mar 26, 2008.

1. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

I went out looking for shad today. I have never seen 1 in person, I think I cought 2. Are these the shad you guys talk about for cat fishing?

[​IMG]

2. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

wow that picture is bad, let me know i can take another if needed. I stuck em in a zip lock bag with water and tossed em in the freezer, am I on the right track @ least? Tks in advance you guys make my life a lot less confusing :}

3. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

yup, at least the first one looks like a shad.

4. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

Woot! tks man, ya 2nd looks just like the 1st. Cought my first shad today! I rock!

5. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Rolland,

Yes those are Shad, next time pack them in a bag dry then freeze them, I vacuum mine so they stay better.

I think the new freezer bags may be as good as the vacuum sealers, so you might try that the next time pat them dry then put them in the bags, the small Shad will break down fast when you unthaw them so take the bag from the freezer and put it in a cold bucket of water let them thaw very slowly and they won't be mushy, right now I'm stocking up on Sumo Shad, Shad that are 16 to 20 inches in length and 4 inches thick, they are my prime bait for cats.

Doc

6. BigMha

BigMha QQn 4 that "ONE" big fish

what are you catching them on and where are you getting them from? i'm sure the shad up here in the cleveland area have died off...i want some for some catfish bait and i dont have a cast net.... PLEASE help

7. hunted

hunted i missed again........

go to wally world and get a throw net,thats the only easiest way to catch shad,other than dynamite.can't catch them on rod and reel.i have snagged a couple with a large treble hook when i have forgotten my throw net,but thats not too easy either:)

you can look around marinas,dams just about anywhere and find shad.in the next few weeks they should be heading up the creeks to spawn,when that happens,they are easy to get and the cats will usually be gorging on them.

8. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

I have caught several on wet flies in buck creek.... they tend to prefer the nymphs, but they will take most smaller flies

9. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

I think it is illegal to use within 1000 feet of any damn.

Doctor tks a ton for the advice I will be dry packing them from now on. And slowly defrosting them.

10. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Some of the dam discharges are marked with signs some are not, reglations say your not allowed to throw them on the signaged marked dams................Doc

11. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

Doc have you been getting any smaller shad from the north end of CJ Brown yet??? I went out yesterday to the mouth of buck creek and the lake with no luck after about 50 or so throws... doesnt look like they are in there yet

12. firecat

firecat Larry Lange

I half filled a 5 gallon bucket in 2 throws last friday in the north end but they were not over by the creek they were out in the middle I just looked for the gulls and they were hitting the water hard. So I go over to the area and catch 4 in the first throw and the 2nd throw well I almost couldn't get the net back in the boat.

Larry