close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Little Beaver Creek

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Procraftboats21, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

(7/20) me and my buddy hit the creek today for some smallies, we caught 7 between us the biggest around 14'' all came on Yo Zuri's Pin's Minnow.

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Where were you at? Were you above or below Sprucevale? I was thinking of going down there in a week or so and was wondering if I should just hit the state park area wading/shore, or take a canoe down to the mouth and hit the lower spots along the way. (I'm trying to decide how lazy I want to be!)

3. Procraftboats21

we were just wading around the state park by echo dell, you would probably have better luck near sprucevale by gretchens lock, theres a few nice holes down there.

4. AndroDoug, you'll need a Pennsylvania fishing license if you plan to fish on the Little Beaver Creek near the mouth. The last mile or so is in Pennsylvania, and there is a section further north that is in Pennsylvania. See the map below.

Scott

[​IMG]

5. Procraftboats21

goin' fishin' is right but theres no true marking of the Ohio/PA line which makes it tough. Where exactly the line is has been a big discussion localy no one is real sure of where its at, I even called the PA Game Commison and the ODNR and they both weren't even real sure, they both said they would check into it more but its hard to tell with them.

6. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Yeah, good call. I haven't been on the river yet this year for fishing, but I did take the ole canoe down from Lisbon to rt 170 in Fredericktown last May. Always a fun trip! But it is very physical and 27 river miles and leaves little time/opportunity for fishing along the way.

Little Beaver Creek, I think, is the most beautiful canoe trip in the state. I do that leg down the middle fork every spring. You need to go when the flow rate is between 700 and 1500 cfm at the mouth. Don't try to canoe below rte 170 at that rate however. The rapids are too strong for a canoe at those cfm's!!! DON"T TRY IT! The creek needs to be around 400 cfm or so to do the lower stretch safely in a canoe, in my opinion.

I usually try to fish it 3 or 4 times a year, the last few years, and I have bought a PA license before when I have fished the lower stretch. You just never know when you cross that line!! :( :) Thanks for the heads up though!

7. Austin, is it possible to reach the creek from the railroad tracks that run beside it? Are the tracks active or abandoned? Thanks.

Scott

8. I've fished the lower section accessible from the Ohio River and had some very good smallmouth! That's one of my favorite creeks to fish, especially on the Cumberland pool. We were there one late March and caught some nice 4lb smallmouth. I've been back there since that one great day and had good days but never anything like then!

9. Procraftboats21

its possible to reach it from the tracks, its a steep hill but I see people do it all the time.

10. Procraftboats21

(7/21) picked a few craws and hit some holes near sprucevale, caught 2- 14'' smallies and 1- 16'' smallie also a few dinks.

11. Thanks, Austin. I think I'll pass on the steep hill between the creek and the RR tracks. I'm 6'1", 240 lbs. which means I'm too fat to be hiking up and down steep hills!

Scott

12. Procraftboats21

Welcome. Maybe we could hook up and go sometime, just P.M me

13. Procraftboats21

(7/22) picked some craws and hit some holes near the state park, caught 1- 13'' smallie 1-14'' smallie and some dinks also a 23'' channel cat and some farm animals