Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancee and I are planning on going here in July to float, fish, hike and bird. For anyone familiar with the area- I was curious as to good restaurants, landmarks, puts in/take outs on the river, dos/donts etc and anything I might be made aware of so I can enjoy the area well. We will be staying in the group camp at the state park. I am assembling my fishing lures based on research, but would obviously appreciate any tips. Thanks in advance. PM is fine. I am aware of the river guage, and it said that 230 CFS is median, so hopefully the weather and flow pan out Okay.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,604 Posts
I hope someone besides me chimes in. I think that there might be a Facebook group, or a website noting places to launch, but I don't remember exactly what they're called. Maybe you could find something out by just Googling around. I'll tell you what, if you could launch at Fredericktown and float the stretch down the boatramp at Rt, 30 in PA, that is an absolutely magical stretch of that creek. You have to watch though. parts of it wander into and out of PA, so I you don't have a PA fishing license. But, you can't launch at Fredericktown, because that land is still preivately owned, and is strictly no trespassing! I wish you luck, and hope you enjoy it a lot!

Reactions: wolfenstein

·
Registered
948 Posts
Go finesse baits, especially if the flow is low cause the water is crystal clear, fish the deeper holes very well. We wade down in that area and I always have either a Ned rig or a 3" Senko in a very natural color on my rod, let them drift the current naturally. Have also used the fly rod down there and had good luck with that also. It is beautiful in that area on the creek! Also watch how far you go below Grimms Bridge Road because it starts to drift into PA and then back into Ohio.

·
Registered
130 Posts
230 cfs is pretty slow flowing. Not sure what gauge you're looking at but I wouldn't call it median. At 230 you'll
probably doing as much dragging of you're kayak as paddling, unless you put in at Grimms bridge and float to the river.
It's a little deeper in that stretch. Rooster tails, 2-3" grubs and a couple small rapala's/rebel craws and you'll do fine

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
230 cfs is pretty slow flowing. Not sure what gauge you're looking at but I wouldn't call it median. At 230 you'll
probably doing as much dragging of you're kayak as paddling, unless you put in at Grimms bridge and float to the river.
It's a little deeper in that stretch. Rooster tails, 2-3" grubs and a couple small rapala's/rebel craws and you'll do fine
Thank you for the tips. I got the flows off of the USGS guage, USGS Current Conditions for USGS 03109500 Little Beaver Creek near East Liverpool OH
mean flow for 105 year average is 475 cfs, so yes I guess that is pretty low. Could you provide any information about putting in at grimm's, it looks mostly private to me...Thanks again.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Go across the bridge, turn to the left on the dirt road, go up to where the old train tracks ran above the road and there is a parking spot on the left side of the road. Then walk back down the road towards the way you drove in and there is a path on the same side of the road about 50 yards from where you will park that goes down to the creek. That is all part of the State Forest or whatever they have labeled it. the other side of the road is marked private I believe. Have never had any issues.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah what BuckeyeFishin said. Also, used to be able to turn right after the bridge and go down a short ways and there was a pull off on the right where u could unload and put in/take out. Not sure if u can still do that or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No trespassing signs at that spot now.

I don't have time but will chime in when I have the chance. Great advice so far.

Just remember that you will be in PA for a bit if you go all of he eat to the river and they will get you for fishing without a state license.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Steelheader I also have a very nice map that is out there for the public that's a great resource. If I can find it I'll send it along or tell you where to get one if your own.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! Courtsdad, are you referring to the spot on the state forest, or the right after the bridge that is marked no trespassing. Thanks.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,604 Posts
I have to agree with this. We haven't had any real rain here in a while. That creek has to be low! For a long time, I was convinced that there was no guaging station on that creek.

Go across the bridge, turn to the left on the dirt road, go up to where the old train tracks ran above the road and there is a parking spot on the left side of the road. Then walk back down the road towards the way you drove in and there is a path on the same side of the road about 50 yards from where you will park that goes down to the creek. That is all part of the State Forest or whatever they have labeled it. the other side of the road is marked private I believe. Have never had any issues.
Yes, the Division of Forestry owns most of the east side of the valley now. The Vodrey family either sold it, or deeded it over to them. the Vodrey's kept their west side property. The east side of the valley is the cutbank, so it's steep and hard to negotiate on foot. You can go on their website and find a map of the area. The parking area is where the road bends to the right and begins to climb the hill.

When you cross Grimms bridge and turn to the left, there is a piece of private property that the owner had VERY well labeled the last time I was down there! It is shown on the map, and is easy to avoid.

I am hoping that eventually the states of Ohio and PA can reserve that entire creek valley for recreational purposes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks guys! Courtsdad, are you referring to the spot on the state forest, or the right after the bridge that is marked no trespassing. Thanks.
If you cross the bridge and turn right and go about 1/4 of a mile there is a pull off and spot where people used to go. It's now marked no trespassing.

If you turn left most of the private property is marked.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,042 Posts
IF you have a fast PC,,, desktop,,,, or maybe a newer, faster laptop can do,,,,, Sign up / register on this site,,,,,, There's Loads of info to be had. ;>)
Sign In, Zoom in,,,, hold cursor on plot & all of the deed owners will pop up.

I've been searching 3 different counties, for properties/ land,,,, All along the PA line.
It's very interesting, who owns the deeds along the Beavers.
WE were interested in a lot that was for sale, not far from Grimms Bridge,,,, Now, it looks like the DNR has title to it!?

Ashtabula County, OH Farmland Values, Soil Survey & GIS Map | AcreValue

·
Registered
968 Posts
Used to kayak from state park at Echo Dell Rd to Spruce Vale Rd and camp, second day to Grimms Bridge for take out. It’s been almost twenty years since the last time I did it, not sure on posted property now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts