Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any positive feedback on lithium batteries? Just about every site is pretty vague about exactly what and how many are needed.

·
Oh Deer
212 Posts
I bought Ionic in december. One 125 amp starting battery that also feeds everything but the trolling motor. Three 50 amp for 36v trolling motor. And their 4 bank charger. Some led acid chargers will work. Ionic has a bluetooth app that will show you state of charge, discharge, faults, est. time left, etc... I was out once so far and pulled the starting battery down to 93% using livescope and fishfinder, and when I ran down the lake I could see my big motor putting 20 amps back in and charged it back up. And can also see my trolling motor batteries being discharged. This is a nice feature to have.
Lithium batteries use a built in BMS (battery management system) to control them. Make sure if you get one for a starting battery that the BMS is rated for that purpose.
For trolling motor you may find 12v, 24v, and 36v, single batteries, or you can run the 12v in series to get the voltage you need. Not all chargers will charge lithiums and If you run a single 24v, or 36v, then you will need a charger that will charge lithiums at 24v or 36v. The size will depend on you use and the how efficiant your motor is (to some extent). If you ussually run around with your foot on the peddled at 10% or 29%, off and on casting for 6 to 8 hours, you should get by with the 50amp size. If you fish current, wind, spot lock, with high use, for 10 or 12 hours, you will probably need 100 amp or bigger size. Think bigger for 12 volt system and smaller for 36 volts.
Lithiums have about 2500 cycle or so lifespan (so most will get MANY years service. They can be discharged to about nothing left and not hurt them. Lead acid will have a short life if dropped below 50% a lot and AGM bellow 80% a lot. And they will drop voltage as they discharge. Lithium's charge voltage and drop is different as they discharge. So you have much more useful capacity at a higher voltage. Thats why some people can get by with a smaller size.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm at the point where I need a few batteries. I had two relatively new batteries until I dropped one. I have to justify the cost. I have a Minn kota 330pc charger that should handle the charging.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I came very close to purchasing lithium’s this year. I have a ‘heavy corner’ in my boat with the kicker mounted right behind two group 24 batteries. My motivation would have been weight savings and to eliminate need the need to replace my batteries annually. I somehow destroy a pair of batteries every season and I think it stems from drawing them down below 50% when trolling with kicker and an autopilot. The kicker gives 6 amps at 1k rpm which isn’t enough.

Here is what gave me hesitation:
1) would the lithium batteries with their low charging resistance hurt the kicker’s alternator? It’d always be in a low rpm scenario. I’ve heard that’s a concern.

2) if I ever draw down to point main motor won’t start, I have three group 27 under my bow for a trolling motor. My backup plan is to simply jump start from one of those. Was not sure if that’d damage a depleted lithium ion battery

3) what will happen if the starting battery ever reaches full state of charge. I think the lithium batteries’ battery management system shuts off from accepting further charge. I think that’s the same as turning the battery switch to the off position while motor is running and that’s a definite no no as it damages the diodes in the alternator (from what I’ve read. I’m no expert, but was hesitant to spend $1500 on batteries that have potential to cause damage just to shed 40 lbs)

If anyone knows the answers to my concerns, I may do it next year. For this year, I just purchased a pair of dual purpose lead/acid marine batteries which will be on their last leg by November no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like you, I have some of same concerns. I feel that when I talk to a vendor, I'm getting a sales pitch and telling me what I want to hear. I don't run a boat like yours, but it is a large investment. All the talk on other forums are about 36 volt systems and I never get an answer. I'm feeling very much like the Redheaded Stepchild,just because I don't have 60k rig! Some one accused me of being the same league and not knowing what I was even talking about. I replied that at least I don't have a Mortgage loan on 60k anchor! The thread has silent since. Not locked!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The are great, most of the big guys (in lithium anyways) like Ionic have figured out the BMS to not shut down when being charged by the big motor, not sure how well it would work with a kicker though. The nice thing is that a 50ah lithium is approximately equal to a 100ah lead acid since you can use them further into the discharge cycle. They also hold voltage low as well, so you don't need to turn the power up on your trolling motor throughout the day to keep the same speed.

Personally, I would run them in a heartbeat for my trolling motor. I'd probably run them on my 250 Pro XS since there have been a lot of guys running them in bass boats with that motor. But I would be hesitant on running them on a kicker, though outputting such small amperage if you have graphs running, and a livewell and other stuff, you are probably discharging faster than the kicker can charge, making the BMS shutdown less likely. Also probably wouldn't run them on a Verado with the power steering, if the BMS did go out, you'd lose power and steering which I wouldn't personally appreciate.

I would also probably stick to Ionic or Amped batteries if you want a starting battery just because they seem to be more boating minded over the others and have a better grasp on the profiles used by most fisherman/outboards.

·
SOLID MEAT
5,719 Posts
The are great, most of the big guys (in lithium anyways) like Ionic have figured out the BMS to not shut down when being charged by the big motor, not sure how well it would work with a kicker though. The nice thing is that a 50ah lithium is approximately equal to a 100ah lead acid since you can use them further into the discharge cycle. They also hold voltage low as well, so you don't need to turn the power up on your trolling motor throughout the day to keep the same speed.

Personally, I would run them in a heartbeat for my trolling motor. I'd probably run them on my 250 Pro XS since there have been a lot of guys running them in bass boats with that motor. But I would be hesitant on running them on a kicker, though outputting such small amperage if you have graphs running, and a livewell and other stuff, you are probably discharging faster than the kicker can charge, making the BMS shutdown less likely. Also probably wouldn't run them on a Verado with the power steering, if the BMS did go out, you'd lose power and steering which I wouldn't personally appreciate.

I would also probably stick to Ionic or Amped batteries just because they seem to be more boating minded over the others and have a better grasp on the profiles used by most fisherman.
I would also add Mtech lithium and Dakota

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would also add Mtech lithium and Dakota
Maybe mtech, haven't heard much about them. But Dakota doesn't have a dedicated starting battery that I know of, so trolling motor sure, but not starting.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mtech does, I thought you were just referencing an overall dedication to angling, not starting batteries
Sorry, should have made that distinction in the last paragraph, that was more aimed at starting batteries. As long as it's a LiFePo4 battery I don't think you can go too wrong with the main vendors for a trolling motor.

Reactions: johnboy111711

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have been very happy with the Mtech starting batteries so far
I'll have to keep them in mind when I decide to drop the money on them. I think I'd edge them out with the Ionic's though just because of the bluetooth BMS to monitor battery levels.

Reactions: johnboy111711

·
SOLID MEAT
5,719 Posts
when I chose Mtech, these were my deciding factors. they have a percentage reader on the battery, if I wanted the bluetooth I could purchase on for under 20 dollars on line ( my tourney partner has the blue tooth and has used it exactly twice in 2 years, both times the batteries were over 75%) and Mtech is an Ohio company who has been in the lithium business for longer than most companies. they started with batteries used in Amish communities and have expanded from there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
when I chose Mtech, these were my deciding factors. they have a percentage reader on the battery, if I wanted the bluetooth I could purchase on for under 20 dollars on line ( my tourney partner has the blue tooth and has used it exactly twice in 2 years, both times the batteries were over 75%) and Mtech is an Ohio company who has been in the lithium business for longer than most companies. they started with batteries used in Amish communities and have expanded from there.
Wow, definitely need to research them more. Didn't know any of that history. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Mercury has a bulletin they released that addresses lithium batteries. The use of lithium batteries is not recommended by Mercury Marine for a primary battery application. The integral BMS is mentioned in the bulletin as being one of the primary reasons that Mercury Marine doesn't want lithium batteries used for cranking battery applications. I saw the memo on the Lund Owner's F/B site within the last week. I've been trying to educate myself on lithium battery technology like others on here. When I get a chance I'll see if I can find a link to the bulletin. Mike

·
SOLID MEAT
5,719 Posts
yes, the bulletin has been out. been running the starting batteries on a merc and rude for the past year and half. knock on wood, no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mtech batteries are sold out. Harrison batteries has a lithium starting battery. Correct me if I am. From what I've heard most of the major components are made in China and assembled here in the United States. You can check with the companies to find this out. I hope I'm wrong though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts