close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

liquid or powder paint???

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by peon, Jul 17, 2005.

1. peon

peon account delete

im going to buy some glo paint for my ice jigs.... i have used regular liquid paint before but never powder paint.. what do you guy think is the best... i work in a powdercoating shop so i know powder it the best... but iv never used this powder jig paint...

http://www.glowpaintpro.com/Default.asp

2. I know someone that makes alot of lures and all they use is powder coat,it lasts longer and doesn`t chip.I tried throwing a jig on the floor as hard as I could to see if I could chip it and it wouldn`t.That`s only my opinion though. :D

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I use powder on my spinner baits I make as well as the spoons I re-do, My opinion is the powder coat. You may want to try a few with paint too. See which you are happy with then go that route with the rest.

4. peon

peon account delete

well i have a few questions.. how do you apply the powder paint?? and when i use vynl paint on my jigs i paint a white coat then the color i want then i take a sharpie marker and draw eyes and a line on the back of the jig... then do a clear coat.... if i use powder paint and use a sharpie on top of that can i still use my clear coat or will it be fine without clear..

5. DaleM

I don't use a clear coat myself, and don't have a problem. I also use the sharpie marker for eyes etc. I do know some that do use clear coat, but my powder coat already had a great shine to it. Maybe someone else on here can comment for us. Make a bunch, I'll borrow some at Presque this year :D

6. peon

peon account delete

i figured that the sharpie wouldnt stay on the jig without the clearcoat... hmm that interesting.. so how do you apply your powder??? iv been told to heat the jig and roll it in the powder....and its done...

7. DaleM

Either heat and dip or heat and roll, either way works. Yes the sharpie does stay on for quite a while.

8. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Heat and dip in the powder. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or so for a rock hard finish. I use powder from Protech. I think thats the name. Gander Mountain has it, so does Cabelas. Follow the directions. Its pretty simple. Good luck.

9. peon

peon account delete

do you bake it in you house oven???? i work in a powdercoating shop so i can bake it in my oven at work if i need to but how do you do it

10. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Powder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Yes in the house oven. I have also used our electric toaster oven. Works great. Just hang them on the rack so the heads are not touching anything. Hang them by the hook bend. When they are done let them cool a little then remove. I think all you need is about 300 degrees for about 15 minutes.
    Good luck.