close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Linecounter Reels

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by supersize, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Looking for feedback on buying a new linecounter reel (or two). I have been using the Abu Garcia electronic line counters, but I'm tired of fooling with them. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money (somewhere around $50.00-$100.00), so keep that in mind if you recommend something. I retro-fitted the A/G counters on some 6500 reels I already owned, and while they work OK, the batteries and control buttons are a pain. Any info is appreciated.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I bought two line counters (Abu Garcia) at Gander Mountian this summer that were around $60.00 each. These were on sale for $45.00. Very nice reels and great line counters. Both are 5-1 return ratio. Check them out. I used these in canada this sept. and loved how they worked. Even caught fish with them :D

3. In my opinion, if you are using them for Musky and Walleye, buy the OLD Daiwa SG27LC reels, they are much better quality than the new version, and the 47 series, old or new, are just too big. They are fine when you need alot of line capacity, but not needed for Musky and Walleye.

4. I have three line counter reels and two Shakespear clamp on counters. I don't have a problem catching fish with either setup. I also use the Shakespear units when drifting for walleye. Once I get the depth zoned in, it is easy to repeat. I also like the fact that I can move them from rod to rod. You can't beat them for $15.