Line Stretch

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by fisherman5567, Nov 11, 2007.

1. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

Is line stretch good or bad????

I fish a multitude of species.

I recently purchaes Shakespear Cajun line, on one of my first hang ups I had a hard time braking it, it had a ton of stretch.

Whats your opinion on line stretch????:confused:

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

not good for setting the hook,but may help in keeping fish on the line.

3. Not only is it harder to set the hook, but you can't feel light bites nearly as well. I only use Mono for Poppers because you wont it to float and it is desireable to have a delayed hookset and you can see the strike. I use florocarbon an braid for everything else but mostly florocarbon. I have heard the argument many times especially to crankbaits you won't to use mono and a fiberglass rod to keep from loosing fish at the boat. My answer is back off the drag on a big fish and you don't have that problem.
    When using florocarbon and running a lipless crankbait though a school of shad I can feel it hitting the shad. I have caught many big Bass this way because I had the confidence to keep fishing that spot.

4. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

5. most mono doesnt stretch nearly as much as cajun red, it is probably the last line i would put on my rods aside from the really cheap crap. i like mono, i like the way it fishes and handles, i only use braid for spooning eyes in the winter, and i only use 8-10lb powerpro. but unless your fishing 40+ft down for fish that bite light you should be able to feel every bite with mono, and sink the hook as long as you have made the right rod choice and you have a good hookset.

6. By the way, I also se Cajon Red. I have it on every one of my reels as backing. I fill the reel with it leaving enough room for 75 yards of braid or florocarbon. It is very easy to tell when you are down to the backing when changing line.

7. I believe that most monos are somewhere around 20% stretch. When I read that number I had a hard time believing it until I tested it for myself and hooked it to a tree in the yard with about 20 yards out. Indeed I was able to at least 7-8 yards before I felt that the line may snap. I never totally tested where the breaking point was but that proved to me that what I wanted to know.

The braids/superlines have become much more popular in recent years and in many presentations I feel they do give an advantage. However I am not one that will go totally to braids. I still use mono for ultralight presentations for crappie/gills using 2-4# line. On that thin of line I can still get a feel for the bite before the stretch takes the sensitivity away. And the mono is much more transparent than the braids. Another thing I don't like in braids at times is the buoyancy of the line. It is difficult to get a light jig deep with braids without working extremely slow. In fact if buoyancy is a major concern then flourocarbon is an even better option as it is even less buoyant than mono. Once a fish is hooked the stretch will help keep the fish on the hook because it prevents them from tearing it out on head shakes and creating slack. If breakage is not a major concern then I feel you are better off going with mono or flouro for panfish. Another great option for a compromise between the two choices is going with thin diameter braid and tying a leader of mono or better yet flouro. This will eliminate the sight factor of braid and will also give a little stretch to hold fish. I also like to use mono on setups that I am tossing cranks on. I have found that I lose a lot more fish on cranks directly to braid than I do on mono and I am not sacrificing anything for sensitivity.

The bottom line is there are a lot of ways to catch a fish and it comes down to one's own preference. I don't know much about the Cajun line but I will say that if you are going to stay with mono then do stay away from the cheap brands because they are cheap for a reason. Many of them have ridiculous stretch and worse yet some easily distort upon stretching and weaken the line significantly. I stick with Trilene personally and never have any issues with their mono.

8. Great advice bkr, but I have a question: You stated "Another great option for a compromise between the two choices is going with thin diameter braid and tying a leader of mono or better yet flouro."

when tying on a flouro leader, how long should it be?

9. carxman17

carxman17 cincinnati fishaholic

I know some dont like braids for light fishing but I find 10lb spider wire stealth works great for crappie. I fish alot of heavy cover & use a aberdine hook under bobber with minnows and I almost never loose a rig with spider wire. I usually straiten the hook and get it free. I also love it for pitching jigs & plastics into heavy cover. other than that I use mono for everything else. Like someone else said. right rod choice makes alot of difference...

10. Again a matter of preference but I prefer to at least have enough that the leader is cranked all the way up on the reel a couple cranks to avoid more stress on that knot. It should not be a problem but you just never know. I use about a 10' leader when using this method. Also, I tie the two lines together with a double uni knot.

11. Cajun Red? Save your money, it's got all kinds of issues, like breaking, and stretch. Its like fishing with chewing gum, and you'd get a better hookset with the gum! I don't know if you've tried any copolymers, but Silver Thread is what I throw NOW thanks to a friend of mine. Hope this helps. Burn the Red Line, thats about all its good for! :B

12. BKR,
    I have done the exact same thing in the past w/ a 10' leader. However, I've always felt a slight tick as the knot (uni-uni) slides through the top eye on the rod tip. I worry that may cause failure in the eye. Not that big of a deal on a cheapie rod maybe, but on a Legend elite it causes me angst. Others have told me to shorten the leader to less than 2 feet and keep it outside the rod tip. Your impression?

13. I doubt that the knot will cause any damage to the eye itself especially on a quality rod as they are made with hard durable material. If anything the concern I have is with the wear of the knot itself when run across the eyelets. Most of the time the knot is coming through the eyelets under little pressure when no fish is on so I really don't see it as an issue. I personally like the thought of having the knot on the spool and not under pressure when making that last lift of the fish. Another thing to think about it how much stretch you will have. I don't know how much cushion of stretch you really have with only 2' of line. 20% stretch would indicate that you may have up to 5" of stretch as compared upwards of 2' on a 10' leader. Also, obviously the shorter the leader the more sensitive the setup.