close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Line strength ?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by reel, Mar 21, 2005.

1. What the heck is the scientific explaination to line pound test ? Is wear or temperature a factor ?

I just restrung a reel with 0.014" dia 12 lb test XPS monofilament, so what does that mean ?

BPS advertises their Stren extra strength as 50% stronger than the label rating. Still not sure what that means ?

I know some species fight harder per pound of weight than others.
    Can any pull harder than they weigh ?

I didn't see what the line test Team Lange used for their 88 pound Blue Catfish.

Some time ago the boat captain out of Acapulco Mexico said I had a 300 pound marlin hooked. He fought like the dickens for a few minutes before I lost him. I can't lift my own weight so how much pull is that with all the compound reel ratios ?

I just recently purchased 3/8 inch three strand anchor line. It said 4,400 pound breaking strength. Now that I understand. Maybe.

Then again it depends on the type of knot used, I guess.

I have to get away from this computer and out on the open water before my 1 pound test brain snaps.

2. team Lange im preaty sure was using 25# test line...you have to remember the drag does the work and keeps the line from breaking...so always make sure you have it set right...if not for the drag on a reel a 10# cat could easly break 25# line

3. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

One of my major "bones of contention" as far as truth in advertising is the trend for U.S. line manufacturers to overrate their line test numbers. Hey, if it breaks at 6 pounds..........it's 6 pound test. Stren really pissed off a lot of dealers by taking out an ad in a trade magazine, Fishing Tackle Retailer, a couple of seasons ago. The full page ad was in response to gripes about the overrating. They actually said that they did it because the average angler was just pure stupid. I agree and understand that some anglers don't understand the proper use of line as a tool but it's from a lack of information and education, not stupidity. Most anglers haven't been shown that monofilament lines have a shelf life, that they deteriorate very quickly from ultraviolet exposure, and many anglers don't tie proper knots or don't lubricate their knots. The line manufacturers got tired of complaints that theitr lines were breaking too easily so they just decided to lie about the strength on the packaging. Some of the better line makers still go to great lenghts to ensure that a specific line will break at or under it's stated test strength, Ande being one good example. This is why many anglers who are trying to set line test records use Ande line. Original Suffix is another honestly rated line. Imagine how PO'd you'd be if you caught a potential world line class record fish and had it refused because you used a line that gave a 6 pounds test rating on the box and, when tested, didn't break till 10 pounds of stress were applied. It'll get worse.."My 2 pound test doesn't break till 100 pounds", lol. Give us honest ratings and teach anglers to tie proper knots, to replace monofilament on a regular basis, and to maintain their equipment (check line guides, drag settings, etc.) instead of claiming that line is still 6 pound test when it doesn't break till more than double that, and then blaming it on "angler stupidity".

4. Well put Jim...
    Many guys keep their rods in the back of their car, truck or van and even their boat and wonder why the line has crapped out on them :rolleyes:

I really can't add anything else good post Jim...

5. Thanks for great responses.
    Is there a picture of proper knot applications ?
    I guess I could search it out if I don't hear from someone.

6. A few years ago I had a website that showed the "real" line strength - was a independant test. I can't find it again sorry! But I will keep looking

7. Here are a couple of sites with knot tying. There are many others I am sure and a Google search would probably find them for you.

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html
    http://www.fish4fun.com/knots.htmAs far as which one to use? Well I guess that depends on the situation, the lure/hook, etc., and of course who you ask.;) I usually use the trilene knot but that is basically because it is what I grew up on and I never had any problems that sent me looking for another knot.

By the way it sounds like you may have touched on a tender nerve for Corey on the topic.:D

By the way Jim, I found your explanation of line test very interesting. I had not given it that much thought as to what compelled comapnies to do what they do on rating. Now it makes a lot more sense.

8. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Jim has a great demo that he shows his customers that illustrates the heat friction damage that occurs when tying knots in mono lines without wetting the knot. He uses some heavy mono, (30#?) in this demonstration. Very impressive.

I utilize the polymar knot almost exclusively. Easy to tie and strong. I used the Trilene knot for 30 years, now I seldom use it.

9. I keep thinking that maybe I will switch to just palomar since I use it on my braids. I always figured I could never change my ways. I think my 30 years has just expired. Maybe it is time for my conversion as well.:D

10. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

The pound test of a line is its rated tensile strength. It should break at whatever test is on the spool if it is correct.

11. That is what one would think, but as Corey mentioned the manufacturers are covering their hind ends at times by going well over the rated tests.

12. Earlier i asked about people using berkley iron silk as i have for two seasons and recieved no respnse.The only breakage we experience seems to happen only with a solid snag or people way over-reacting tripping a dipsy.I'm getting ready to respool 10 units and when i questioned the price of a bulk spool the "professional" told me it was breaking junk and everyone who tried it said the same.Our experiences have all been good running 20lb but i do wet all my knots and strip 6-8ft regularly as we fish deep much of the time.Any input is greatly appreciated.

13. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I use Iron Silk pretty much exclusively now. I have 6,8,10,12,20,25,30,40,50 lb obviously I use it for a few different things!

I have loved it so far. I tend to break off fewer jigs than I would normally with the Trilene I used to use. Even the 6 lb on my ultralight has surprised me when I bend hooks out. I love the stuff. Nobody else's opinion can sway me otherwise. I have had not trouble and I love the way the knots turn out. I use the heavier line for flathead fishing and only use the 50 once in a while for a leader.

14. One would hope that the fish line manufacturers would certainly consider "normal" environmental factors to be included in the advertised pound test. One expects the transmission of a car to last a certain minimum number of years if driven reasonably (no excessive abuse). If you buy a 1000 lb tow chain, one would expect to hold 1000# for a certain length of time, not just you slogged it home from the hardware store. One doesn't have to reduce the weight rating for a tire after 5000 miles of tread wear. The use of design margin and the consideration of environmental factors in the design process is both common and often necessary.

15. To be honest the things you are comparing to fishing line is not fair to those who make the line... Apples and Oranges
    Read Jim's statement above to see they W's

16. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

I use 6 lb floro-clear P-Line and I swear it's harder to break than 8lb test of other brands. I always thought it was good line, but it could be over rated. Not that I'm going for a world line class record or anything...but you never know when you're going to catch a saugeye out of Antrim. Was P-Line on the list of companies over rating lines?
    Another question, I know heat breaks down mono when tying a knot, but what about when in the trunk of a car and not exposed to direct sunlight (UV rays)?
    -Hooch-

17. Oh yea direct heat of any kind will break the line down...
    When I fished bass T's I use to store my rods under wet blankets to keep them cool and the rods never stayed in the truck/car/van when away always under the soaked blankets.. Yea that may have been extreme but never had any line failures...

18. This might answer my question.
    How does this "box" device work.
    Could I build one, and test the end of each line after respoolling ?

19. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Back in 1984 I caught a world line class record Tiger Muskie on 25 pound test Stren Line. I submitted it along with the first fifty feet of line I caught it on. They ran five tensile strength tests on it and its average breaking strength was 25.2 pounds. This is extremely accurate as to line test strength as was printed on the spool at that time. Stren has always been my favorite line in all pound tests. About six years ago or therabouts my record was broken by a young boy in Delaware, I believe.