close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Line Spooling Station Question??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by oufisherman, Dec 26, 2004.

1. I got 2 Bass Pro Gift Certificates to use and I'm looking to get a line spooling station to make line refills easier. I noticed a portable one from Berkly on Bass Pro that runs for $20, which includes a built in line stripper and cutter.
    Is anyone on this board familar with this model? It is in my price range and what I'm looking at. I'm open for any remarks or suggestions on others from Bass Pro. Thanks for any info

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

ou i would love to help ya out on that but all i can tell ya is i just unwraped one yesterday the same berkly that you are talking about. Wife got it for me looks to be a nice unit. Give me a couple days and tell ya what i think. But iam sure others on here will ring in on this.

3. don't spend your money on the one from berkley...not any better than a pencil thru the spool...to light...tension not right..

4. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

i have the one from berkley, it works fine for me.

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I disagree. The Berkley unit was the best 20 I've ever spent. You can adjust the line tension with the including spring thumbscrew. If you were spooling up a deep sea reel I could see how this wouldn't work, but for applications up to 20lb test at least, it's great. No more nagging from the wife about holding the spool of line alone was worth the $20! :D

6. I agree with everyone else. Nice little unit that I've pretty much worn out now. :D I've had it for about 2 years and it's still holding up, just looks 2 yrs old. The line stipper only lasted about a week though. :(

7. How does this work with a spinning reel? If I may ask, what position is the spool support shaft in when spooling a spinning reel?
    TIA

Mike

8. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

My Aunt just bought one for herself and she likes it, I havnt used one yet. I usually just do it myself.

9. Hey guys, I ended up getting the Berkly Spooling Station. Going to try it out next week during spring break. Finally have the time to sit down and spool my reels up.
    I'll let you know how it works with spinning reels.

10. I picked up one of these, the other day, and spooled up one of my spinning reels. It seemed to work well, not adding any twist to tht line. I took the outfit to the local park, today, to test the long range effects. To make a long story short, it casted a 1/16 oz jig well, with 6# line. Other than not being able to feel my fingers :( , and not having a good release, the lure shot out nicely from the rod tip. I came home and spooled up three more spinning reels, with no twist evident.
    I was sure the spooling station would handle my baitcasters well, but I didn't expect such good performance on the spinning reels.

Mike

11. i got two of them and i love mine.just remember to see the line spools on the best way so it dont twist. the the line puller works well if ya tilt it a little.heavier line the better.been using mine now since they came out.

12. Hey BF BOY, did you spool the spinning reels the same way that you would spool the baitcaster reel ? I bought one this winter and spooled up a couple of spinning reels but I never tried them out yet. I wonder why that spool arm can adjust as if you were going to spool a spinning reel ,but I can't see how the line would come off and not get tangled? ...JIM

13. Yeah, I spooled it just as a baitcaster. I was looking at the alternate position, figuring that the line would just roll off the spool.
    I searched the internet for reviews and instructions, and finally found a picture of a spinning reel on the station. The line spool was positioned just as for a baitcaster. It seems that this is the correct way.
    HTH,
    Mike

14. Yea, thats the way I spooled mine, Thanks Mike....JIM

15. hey barefoot boy where are you fishing that pier at??

16. That was a pic from a trip to St. Simon's Island, Georgia, actually a couple of years back. It was a great day that I like to remember, now and then. Didn't catch much, but hooked something I had no chance to bring in.
    When the weqther is like it has been, this winter, I am fondly dreaming and wishing that I was down there, again. :)

Mike

17. im heading thata way in june to pier fish in viginia or maryland.looks good to me thanks

18. DiscGolfer, That is the exact one that I got. I'll be spooling up my reels this week, either Wednsday or Thursday. This set-up will beat holding the spool between my feet on a pencil!!