Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a constant issue of line snapping at the front release on an offshore board?

I was running 16 pound blood run mono and using the loop trick. All spring I didnt loose a board then started popping one off 1 a trip. I stripped line and added new and still had the issue. I was the one popping them loose no harder then I did all spring.

I switched to 14 pound sunline but not am gun shy and running snapper releases up front to not release. But running 4 a side sure is nice to pop them loose.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does anybody have a constant issue of line snapping at the front release on an offshore board?

I was running 16 pound blood run mono and using the loop trick. All spring I didnt loose a board then started popping one off 1 a trip. I stripped line and added new and still had the issue. I was the one popping them loose no harder then I did all spring.

I switched to 14 pound sunline but not am gun shy and running snapper releases up front to not release. But running 4 a side sure is nice to pop them loose.

What kind of releases were you running when trying to release?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Mark which board is doing it, maybe a 1 board problem

·
2,547 Posts
For what it is worth - I tried blood run mono a few years back & had a lot of break off issues. Switched to 14 lb original stren and have had no more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
You’ve said you don’t believe your pads are worn, but I’ve replaced a few on my boards and it has helped. I will say it is a pain in the butt to replace the pads.
I hope you’ve been having a good year. Work has been getting in the way a lot this year for me.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For what it is worth - I tried blood run mono a few years back & had a lot of break off issues. Switched to 14 lb original stren and have had no more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree not sure what it is but I've switched since then.. I have half a of a bulk spool left.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I’ve been using Optima 12# test since started fishing Erie and following OGF in 2009. Have 8 trolling LC reels spooled with it. Some is 10 years old! Never any issue with break offs on in line boards, divers, or bottom bouncers. These rods stay in the boat stored in large bank barn when not on the lake fishing. They are not exposed to high temperatures or sunlight unless in use. I have found very weak and easy to break line on other reels I’ve spooled with various other popular brands of mono and fluorocarbon. I now look at date stamp on spools purchased at stores. I have thrown away a lot of “new” spools I purchased and did not use for years, even if sired in closed cupboard in the house.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Thought offshore boards were yellow, churchs are orange.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The orange offshore release is the OR19 and the red one in the back of board with pin is the OR 16.The other release we sometimes use is the black OR18 that has a lever on top to tighten or release.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I too would advise checking the pads. Braid can really bugger the pads up, maybe just time. I replaced all pads last winter, they are very cheap, and sort of a pita but doable… and worth the time. The plastic board material could cut a line fairly easily I imagine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts