close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Line for weedy bass fishing??

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by archman, Aug 3, 2005.

1. I've been fishing some extremely weedy areas for bass and have done pretty good. I've only been using 8 lb mono, so I have been losing a few fish. I figured if I used a line more suitable for that type of fishing, I would land a few more. Any suggestions?

2. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I think that PowerPro could pull a fish out of just about anything :D
    The only drawback is that it probably is not a great line to use in clear water because it is a braided line and may be visible.
    Marcia

3. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

spiderwire stealth is super nice, i use it on all my rigs

4. Power Pro (or any quality braid) is perfect for weeds! Not only will it give you the line strength to pull 3lbs of bass + 20lbs of grass out of the water, but it also cuts through the weeds.

5. The way to go. I have to agree with Marcia in that Power Pro is some strong stuff. It is visible in clear water, so avoid that like Reel Lady said. I just started using Vanish Transition on my spinning tackle. It is a fluorocarbon line, visible above water and invisible below. It has low stretch, good abrasion resistance, and good sensitivity. I am worried about the knot strength and it has a tendency to bind up real bad. I keep mine lubed up with Reel Magic or KVD's new product. (shhh, it works!)

I use mine for drop shotting and throwing finesse worms. I like it so far, but I'm still experimenting with it.

Eric

6. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Hi Joel, i have #10/2 gray fireline on my rods and it seems to do pretty well for me. it cuts and i can control the fish better than with the mono i used to use.

seems like once you go power pro, you dont look back from what ive read....once this fireline wears out ill have to give that stuff a try.

7. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

joel, I use 10lb yo-zuri hybrid

8. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Fireline IMO is the best braided line. It is strong as powerpro and it handles better on spinning reels. I have used the 14lb and 20lb in grey and neon green and both work good. I use it on my ultralight too. I think it is the 4lb. not sure but it is super thin.

9. It sounds like some type of braided line is the way to go. But what about the visibility problem? The water I fish in is very clear. Should I tie some type of fluorocarbon leader to it? I appreciate all of the responses.

10. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

YES! Tie on a Floro leader from 2 to 4 feet in length. Use a double Uni knot. You will keep the sensitivity and low stretch, but still have stealth. -Hooch-

11. Any recommendations on what lb test of fluorocarbon?

12. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

I use the same pound test or less. When I snag up, I usually break somewhere on the floro leader, so I don't have to retie a floro leader everytime I snag. It doesn't always work, but it will save you some retying. Soon the Uni knot will be as easy to tie as the Polymar...well almost! -Hooch-

13. I use the uni knot for steelhead fishing all the time. It's actually pretty easy to tie. And if I can tie it with frozen fingers, it shouldn't be too hard in the summertime :)

I just know that the knot strength wasn't as good as mono, but that's when I use 4 or 6 lb for steelhead. I'll probably go with 10-12 for this type of fishing.

14. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Warpath, where do you get KVD's reel stuff? I keep seeing the commercials and would like to try some.

Mike

15. shortstroke

shortstroke Shortstroke

Archman,
    I use all braid (fireline 12#) with flourocarbon leaders for bass fishing. But one thing to keep in mind, if you are using a bait that you rear back and hit em hard, you need to make sure you are using a heavy leader (14-16#). This would be jigs,worms, or tubes especially if you don't have alot of line out when you set the hook. My thinking is ..zero stretch for say 20ft (braid) then you have a weaker line in the last 4ft... not much stretch to absorb the initial hook set..usually end up breaking the leader line since it is the weakest link. Also you can set you drag looser than normal with mono to allow some give on the hook set. Good thing about the braid is you can drive it in them when you have alot of line out unlike mono. I usually stick with 10# and above with fireline cause it does seem to break easier sometimes on say lures like ahrd jerkbaits. Under 10# fireline has troubles on a baitcaster also as it tens do dig into itself I think because of the smaller diameter.

16. Thanks for all of your advice, guys. JB, do you use that stuff that VanDam uses?

17. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

yeah, sometimes, but i change my line often due to small capacity reels so not sure how well it works