close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Line for flippin'

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Dirty Harry, Jun 12, 2005.

1. I'm interested in starting to flip and need a little help. Most of my bass fishing has been done with medium or medium-lite action rods, but I've gotten myself a 6-6 medium heavy rod and a good reel.
    Now, can anyone recommend a line that is good for flippin? How heavy should I go and how light can I get away with.
    Thanks guys.

2. I'll alternate between 12 and 20 lb test (with the same type rod / reel combo). Mostly, around the C-Bus lakes, I'll use 12 lb Trilene XL which has worked very well around the small brush piles / laydowns around here. When I know that there are areas with sharp rocks, larger laydowns, etc, I'll switch to 20 lb fluorocarbon (Vanish or Sugoi).

Beware, there is a huge difference in the stiffness of the lines, and the switch does take some time getting uses to.

3. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

I use 25 lb trilene big game for flippin. I like it, been using for 3-4 years.

4. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

I use 50# Spiderwire stealth or 50# power pro. Line Diamiter is the same or smaller than 12 # mono and it lets you horse them in if you need to.

5. I use the same as Bass Hawg. 50# Power Pro. You're not losing a fish (or many lures) with that and it doesn't spook fish. You might occasionally reel in a tree though :rolleyes:.

Steve

6. Do you have to use special knots with the spider wire? somebody told me you need super glue to secure the knot.

7. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

simplest easiest knot use the polomar knot. Use braid for flippin also and if your just learning, it will be the easiest to get them backlashes out. 10/50 spiderwire. At times you may want to tie a leader with Flaurocarbon depending on water clarity.

8. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

No special Knot. MAKtackle had it right with the polomar knot. Some people use super glue but I never have and I have never had my line broken and I have been using spiderwire and power pro for 2 years now. Not just on my flippen outfit. I use if for soft plastics as well as top water and cranks. I fish a few farm ponds that are pretty clear and my catch rate has not decreased do to line visability. SO No leaders for me.

I love the stuff. Its great. Loosen up your drag a little because when you go to cross the fishes eyes on the hook set there is no streatch of the line so full shock goes to the fish. Give it a shot. I bet you will love it.

:)

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Flipping usually means a ton of thick stuff than can nick your line. You want something with abrasion resitance. Also something strong. I use a 7'10" heavy action rod and Stren Heavy Cover in 17# and never lost a fish. The only problem with braided lines is there is no stretch which could result in pulling the hook right out of the fishes mouth. When I do use braided line i set my drag a little lighter than normal to make up the difference and it works well. When your in the thick stuff you need to be able to set the hook hard and get the fish out fast or it will tangle you up and probably get away. Good luck and hold on!! Flipping the thick stuff produces big fish!!

10. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

I agree with ncraft150. I use a 7'6" flippin stick in heavy action. And Stren 20 lb. test. Gamakatsu worm hooks, they,re extremely sharp right out of the pack. And of couse black power worms. :) Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  11. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I wouldn't use anything shy of clothes line and a cue stick :D

12. The clothesline and cue stick thing is about what I had in mind.

13. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

yeah, no sense in takin' any chances