close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Line for 3wt?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Rooster, Dec 29, 2008.

1. What fly line would you suggest for a 3wt, short casts (roll cast 90% of the time), dry flies, and SMART fish? Oh yea, add in that I cannot fly cast!

I've been looking at the SA lines, and I have no idea which would be my best choice. Trout, GPX, XPS.........in WF or DT? The GPX would probably be the easiest for me to cast, but the trout and XPS seem to be more suited to the type of fishing that I will be doing. Also, I think that WF would be the easiest for me to cast, but I've read that DT is better for roll casting?

2. The line needs to match the action of the rod and then the caster will adapt it to work into his favor, after all, it will be an extension of your arm, so before anyone can answer the question, need to know the make, model, length and weight of the rod.

Salmonid

3. short roll casts, 3wt, and lack of skill... hmmm, while it's your choice, dt will work better in this situation if the casts won't exceed 50 feet often. plus, you get more line for the money as you can reverse the line once one side is worn out. otherwise go with the wf. i have a 7'6" 4wt with wf floater and can punch out up to 70 feet on a calm day with a size 14 fly. and for skill, either snag someone who can cast, or teach yourself by reading and applying it.