close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

line counters for trolling

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by hardwaterfan, Mar 8, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i did a search for line counters and im going to get my dad a couple for trolling. i guess the majority of guys here think the shakespeare line counters work well....i think the way you can put them on any rod would be a plus.

just one question, will they work ok with stuff like spiderwire or is that stuff too slick?

is there just one kind of shakespeare line counter?

if anyone wants to make any other comments at all, feel free.

2. They work great and are an economical solution compared to line counter reels. I have three line counter reels plus two Shakespears. I really like the Shakespears for being able to reset the depth when drifting spinner harness rigs. They also do an acceptable job for trolling. I have no problem with Fireline or Power Pro so Spiderwire should work.

3. We use the line counter reels exclusively when trolling for muskies. We use the Shakespeare reels with the big baits such as plows and 10" Hookers. They work well with one exception, if there is a lot rain, the counters quit working on about half the reels (we have four). My two cents worth is that Okuma Magdas have performed better for us and the cost is not that much more. Check them out before purchasing. We use Power Pro exclusively with no difficulties. Be sure and use a lot of backing to get accurate depth reading.

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I have 8 of cabelas' line counter combos. Both the reel and the rod are their own brands. 4 of them are heavy action for trolling dispeys, 4 are lighter action for trolling boards and cranks. I think they were 64.00 each and work just great. I have fireline on the dispey reels and they handle it just fine.

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I got the Shakespear's from advice on the site, and I'm really happy with them. No problems with braid either.

6. marcbodi

marcbodi junior member

Hi,
    I have six Shakespere Counters and switch them back and forth on my different rods.They are not perfect but I like them.I think they are more accurate than the Line Counters and they measure line out and line in.

7. hardwaterfan

thanks for all the comments gents.... :)

i just went to GM and they had a whole bunch of the shakespeare ones and one lonely little rebel model. would have checked out the okuma brand but didnt see any.

10.99 each for the shakespeares.

8. Are you talking about the line-counter reels for 10.99 or the clip on line counter you attach to your rod and can use about any casting reel with. The Okuma's in my opinion are a better reel and generally can be found for around 39.99. They can be found at Dick's as I don't think Gander Mountain carries that brand. But, if you can buy the Shakespeare Line Counter Reels for 10.99, snatch them up.

9. He is referring to the counters you attach to the rod.

10. hardwaterfan

lol.... yes SD is correct, i didnt even realize the distinction until i reread the post... :eek:

a lot of things are still new to me, and i appreciate everyones input.

11. EE

EE

I have a couple of the Shakespeare line counters which attach to poles. I've always found they work fine, unless the line gets wet. sometimes the line slides through, sometimes it doesn't. I'll be investing in some reels this spring with line counters. either diawa's or the cabelas brand.

12. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

If you purchase the Shakespeare, or cabela's line counters keep your receipt. You don't have to have them to return them, it just makes it easier.

Cabela's has a great return policy. I've returned various models of both line counters mentioned above for credit (always within a few weeks) with no hassle at all. I've never had need to return or repair any on my 8 Diawa line counters during the last 7 plus years of service.

You can put as much wear on a reel in a week of salmon fishing as you would a year of walleye fishing. Some of the reels that I returned lasted less than one day, others a few days. Drags quit working, clickers broke, a bushing cracked. Some held up, but I had no confidence left in them, I never knew how long they would last.

I have never had the first problem with any of my Diawa (SG 27's) line counters. I tried to find a reel that would do the job and save me $30-$40 a reel. It just didn't work for me. This exact subject comes up every year on one of the major walleye fishing sites and the consensus is always the same. Purchase the right reel the first time and it will save you buying them later. They all suggest Diawa and Okuma

I'm happy for those that have had success with the others. I wish I had.

Kim

I have heard good reports for Okuma, but have no first hand experience with them