close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Line counter rod/reel,Just got a boat?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ProfitOfDoom, May 29, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I just bought a boat,and everyone I see has these big rods with a line counter.
    I was just wondering what kind of rod could I get,Im looking for something that will work and thats not too exspensive?
    Also where's a good place to buy from?
    Thanks

2. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I have 4 Cabelas Dipsy Diver LC rod & reel combos and 1 Downrigger LC combo. So far I am pleased with there performance. They didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I caught many fish with them with no problems so far. I also have 1 Penn saltwater combo That I use in my downrigger. It also is a great combo.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

dick's had a good sale on them last month.but with their $10.00 off coupon they are still at a decent price for the daiwa line counters. watch for a sale. or do as i did to start out.get some penn 209 reels and measure /count wraps of line you let out.1 time back and forth on the reel is a wrap.also daiwa heartland rods are good and sell for $29.99 and sometimes on sale for $19.99. check out gandermtn for sale items along with dicks.

4. I second Toxics reply, I have the Cabelas line counters and rods, cheapest ones I have found and I have not had a problem.

Rich

5. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

okuma magda pro $40.00 at dicks/diawa heartland 8 1/2 foot downrigger rods $30.00 at gander mtn. these are what i use and have had no problems with them. the cabelas combos seem like a good deal too, but i already had 6 of mind by the time i saw them. whatever you choose to get make sure to get all the same. i guess the "all the same" applies more to the rods than the reels. that way if your dragin' around a little guy you'll see the difference in the bend of the rod.

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

use the dicks coupon to save some cash posted here on ogf.

7. Profit, I started trolling about 3 yrs.
    ago using the Okuma Magda pro
    series with thier Classic rods. I liked them so much I added 3 sets
    to a friends boat and he is more than pleased with them also

8. There are also a couple (I know rapala makes one) line counters that you can attach to any rod and you just feed your line through them. We use them on Erie all the time and they are great. They actually pop when a fish hits so you can hear a bite too. I know Gander has them as well as Basspro or Cabelas

Attached Files:

9. If getting linecounter reels,make sure you get them all together-identical. Now myself,I first picked up a cabelas depthmaster DW10 lc,and the counter was set for yds. The next depthmaster lc reel,it was in feet. So now,I troll with 10-11 yds released on my main rig,and 45 ft released on the other depthmaster-pain in the butt sometimes, LOL. Many,many tons of saugeye caught on that reel-along with spiderwire. The cabelas Depthmaster reels are very good reels,economical,DW10 is nice size-not too bulky- loud clickers,and very precise-meaning when you reel them all way in ,they go back to 0.

I only troll with 32' of line released-max,and 24' released for planerboards!!!!!!!! Even shorter during those dryspells when the level drops!

Some of my other linecounters aren't so fortunant:

I got a cheap shakespeare lc from walmart and the lc is a pc of crap.Counter won't reset to 0 when reeled in,also in feet.No clicker.

My 4th lc reel is the Daiwa Accudepth 17TLC and i'm not too fond of it. Linecounter doesn't always reset to 0 feet. The drag also sucks-stays tight until you pull off 4-5 ft,then it frees up.No line clicker-major bummer.

Those portable linecounters like Webman27 posted are very handy. Not durable-mostly made of plastic. I use one of them to do the calibrating for all my odd lc reels and garcia 5500c trolling reel.

Trolling rods: If running rods down the side of boat, I use salmon/steelhead rods. Running on planerboards-then the flimsier trolling rods,planerboard rods,etc work very good.