Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DammitDave
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started having problems the last few trips with the spools on some of my older Diawa line counters spinning to quickly when letting out crank baits. A few times the line has gotten between the side of the spool and the reel housing. While not a big problem, it is a pain to deal with.

I've fixed the problem. I'm sure most of you already know how, but maybe this post will help someone else who might be struggling with the same issue. As you know, the little silver cap under the drag can be tightened to slow the spin of the spool. But after a few years, even with the cap tightened completely, it's not effective in slowing the spool down.

The answer is taking off the cap and putting in an additional brass spacer disc. I called Craig at Erie Outfitters and he mailed me out some replacements the same day. (I got some extra discs, springs and caps.)

I didn't get enough discs for all my reels, so rather than waiting for more to arrive, I used a hole punch to make some out of the lid of a plastic container. Obviously, I put the plastic disc between the cap and the brass disc, but it worked great.

Auto part Vehicle Button Outerwear Pattern Textile Fashion accessory Camera Cameras & optics Photography Camera accessory Table

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I've started having problems the last few trips with the spools on some of my older Diawa line counters spinning to quickly when letting out crank baits. A few times the line has gotten between the side of the spool and the reel housing. While not a big problem, it is a pain to deal with.

I've fixed the problem. I'm sure most of you already know how, but maybe this post will help someone else who might be struggling with the same issue. As you know, the little silver cap under the drag can be tightened to slow the spin of the spool. But after a few years, even with the cap tightened completely, it's not effective in slowing the spool down.

The answer is taking off the cap and putting in an additional brass spacer disc. I called Craig at Erie Outfitters and he mailed me out some replacements the same day. (I got some extra discs, springs and caps.)

I didn't get enough discs for all my reels, so rather than waiting for more to arrive, I used a hole punch to make some out of the lid of a plastic container. Obviously, I put the plastic disc between the cap and the brass disc, but it worked great.

View attachment 354785 View attachment 354787 View attachment 354789
i use daiwa reels and havent run into this problem yet (yet) but wouldn't stretching the spring do the same thing??

·
Registered
801 Posts
One thing that helps prolong the life of the drag set up on reels. Loosen the cap under the star drag that takes the free play out of the spool at the end of the season. The problem is caused by the washers flattening out. It also helps if you carry a stick to wack the knuckles of people
that tighten the drag to tight.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I loosen drags on all of my reels at the end of every outing as I put them away. I don’t suppose that would work with rocket launchers though.
Read that in a mag once upon a time. So far, no problems.

·
DammitDave
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing that helps prolong the life of the drag set up on reels. Loosen the cap under the star drag that takes the free play out of the spool at the end of the season. The problem is caused by the washers flattening out. It also helps if you carry a stick to wack the knuckles of people
that tighten the drag to tight.
FishKKiller - Your comment about whacking the knuckles of your guests reminds me of a story about the drag being too tight. A good buddy who has fished with me dozens of times for walleye was with me on a trip to Lake Ontario a couple years ago. He was running his side of the boat and me the other. His rigger fire and he grabbed the rod and started reeling. I could see that the rod (that I've caught dozens if salmon on) was really loaded. I asked him if his drag was okay and he quickly responded; "Yes Dad!". Within seconds his king was gone. He said; "It got off..." I told him that the line had broken and when I tried to pull line off the reel, I wouldn't budge. Needless to say, he's had to listen to me tell others that story several times!

·
DammitDave
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i use daiwa reels and havent run into this problem yet (yet) but wouldn't stretching the spring do the same thing??
That's what I thought at first, but the spring is just there to keep tension on the cap. The reel spindle protrudes thru the spring and the brass disc applies pressure to the spindle when the cap is tightened. If you look closely at the first picture I attached you can see what I'm talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts