Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what you guys like to go with for night walleye on Erie. I am going to try for walleye this week from shore, casting Husky 14' and Perfect 10's. Never fished for walleye at night, and I was going to go with 15# Fluorocarbon.. but curious to see if guys go with straight braid or Braid with fluoro leader. I know some go with straight mono... if so curious for thoughts and preferences on this.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I like casting Rapala HJ12s or 14s with 8-10lb mono at night. Just my 2¢...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I recently spooled two reels with Gamma 8lb n 6lb realy impressed made from same mtrl they make tennis racket string from limp no memory cast great

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Light line makes for better movement. 6 pound is high as i go for walleye. I got some fire line braid and trilene xt. Had some issues with xl breaking but xt is strong enough for steelhead.

The bliss line is supposed to be good havent tried it but an old timer recommended it. Supposed to be 8 pound but like 4 pound diameter or less.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,107 Posts
If you do use braid, definitely put a leader on there. Either mono or fluoro. If you tie direct to braid and snag up bad, you will play hell trying to break it off! Ask me how I know!

Reactions: flyphisherman

·
Registered
114 Posts
10# braid is definitely the winner! The thin diameter allows the lure to have awesome motion and the no stretch of braids allows it to be super sensitive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just curious what you guys like to go with for night walleye on Erie. I am going to try for walleye this week from shore, casting Husky 14' and Perfect 10's. Never fished for walleye at night, and I was going to go with 15# Fluorocarbon.. but curious to see if guys go with straight braid or Braid with fluoro leader. I know some go with straight mono... if so curious for thoughts and preferences on this.
I like 20 lb. fireline to a 15 lb. or 20 lb. flourocarbon leader. I like the cast ability of the fireline. I never want to be caught undersized. With 20 lb. at least you have a chance with something big.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts