Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"I sat by the river" N.Mc
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok let me start by saying I am not trying to start the debate between catch and keep and catch and release. I think we have debated this enough. The information I am looking for is based on the number of anglers that post about limiting out on any given day. Do you guys keep your limits every time out or are you just posting that you caught your limit on that day and may have released fish. Also if you do limit out and keep your catch can you continue to catch and release fish or are done for the day. I am not familar with the regs and I am just curious how it works. Again this is not meant to be a catch and release debate just looking for info about the subject, Thanks for any info Erie anglers. S

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
You're allowed to keep culling smaller fish once you've reached your limit. Unless you throw in a dead fish which is "wonton waste" and you could be charged. I think that the guys that say they got their limit are keeping the fish. Not very many Erie anglers C&R walleyes.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
By the letter of the law, once your limit is put in a kill situation, (on ice), you must stop fishing. To comply with this on a good day simply quit putting fish in the box, 1 shy of your limit, and catch and release till your arms fall off, and put the last fish in when you're ready.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Me and my friends do a lot of Lake Erie walleye fishing and we fish for our limit. We normally kill and bleed our fish as we catch them as long as they are of the size we consider keepable. All the fish we keep are eaten by us or members of our family and a few friends that do not fish. I seldom use the livewell unless we are trying for a Fish Ohio.:)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
There are days we go to limit out.... and keep . of course... many times we dont feel like cleaning fish so we let them go....

when we fish tourney's on thter oter hand we keep the live well going and once we have our 5 any thing smaller than our five we release...

once we have our limit and fish for fun.. we also catch and release...

Frank

·
"I sat by the river" N.Mc
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks guys, also what about smallies what are the regs reguarding smalling bag limits and the normal practice or how the smallies are kept compared to released. Thanks again. S

·
Registered
391 Posts
I usually fish until I or my kids have had enough for the day-usually until the sun gets too hot. I seldom fish hard. To me, it is the quality of the outing for the kids-and not catching limits of fish. I have 4 kids and my wife likes to go also. To work up 6 limits (36 fish!) is just too much. If the fish are really hitting, I will stop at 8-10 fish. That is 3 dinners at my house and that is enough. My typical time on the water fishing with the family is usually <2 hours.

My usual method of fishing is drifting or slow trolling bottom bouncers with harnesses. We put out 4 rods (sometimes only 3). This provides us with nearly constant action. The kids are holding the rods, hooking the fish themselves and someone is pretty much always cranking in something-a sheepie, white perch, yellow, perch, smallmouth, catfish, walleye-whatever! To the kids, as long as there is action, and it is not too hot or cold, and it is not too rough and they have their snacks, and we are not out too long-it is a blast and they want to go again!

By doing this, I now have 3 boys, a daughter and a wife who all really like to go out. I am never wanting for crew-and because this is the approach I have always taken, the wife a couple years ago saw the "need" for a new boat to take everyone out in. Hence the new Lund Tyee 185 sitting in my driveway.;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
In times where the fishing isn't too hot I will put fish in the livewell until we get enough to make it worthwhole to keep ( 4-5) If we don't get that many I'll carefully put them back in the lake.There are also days when I'm all by myself and just release them. The key is to be as carefull as you can with them .I don't touch them , I just grab them with a fish gripper in the mouth and use pliers to ease the hook out. Of coarse , if one is injured, I keep it and go for the limit !;)

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Some of my limits posted are partially released. There will be more in the future when my stockpile of meat exceeds my desire to consume it.

Jim, Where have you read about stopping fishing after you have killed a limit? I have been unable to find that. (I was recently in a debate at work about this and couldnt find it to back me up)

I would think it would be hard to enforce. All an angler would have to do is say they are trolling for sheephead.....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I like to catch and release, but not as a rule. I will keep a few occasionally, so I can clean, cook, and eat. Outside of that, It's just fun to be out catching!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I normally just fish for the limit.However with the bite as good as what it has been I will cull fish.Yes I own a LUND and yes I use the livewell.Last Monday my brother and I were two short of our limit and a good friend let us know about a better grade of fish about a mile from where we were at.We moved to the location and had our limit quickly after that.It was still early and we decided to keep on fishing.We upgraded one full limit.Do I feel guilty about it,no.With fuel prices being what they are these days I just call it more bang for the buck.

·
Permanent Part Time
2,373 Posts
I use the Livewell to upgrade my catch.I come from a family of 13 so release is not in my vocabulary.Although I do throw back White Bass and Sheephead.
I am what you would call a Meat Hunter!:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
You are not doing damage to the fish in your live well. Until you take off to another spot a mile away. And bang the fish in your live well around. I'm sure you are killing some of them. Why not just take your limit,and be satisfied with what you caught?
Sammyo

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
"You are not doing damage to the fish in your live well."

You may know more than me..........but I cannot agree with this statement. Live well water is surface temp............that is NOT the same as water 20-50' deep. It's also not the same "pressure".

imo.......live wells kill fish. In March and April they may be ok......but in May, June, July, August, Sept...........the surface temp of water causes kill.

Re this thread: many who fish walleye will release 15-17" fish. Just because they are legal does not mean people always keep them. If I can estimate the size when still in the water, I do not net. Bring them to the boat, grab the hook with pliers......and release as gently as possible.

Fish never gets touched. We want them to grow up.

·
Registered
743 Posts
It is illegal to keep both large and smallmouth bass until the end of june. It's like June 29th. Any fish caught must be immediately released. Most people I know release all bass, especially the smallmouth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts