close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lights at night

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bluebuster6912, Aug 10, 2007.

1. I was watching Tuna Wranglers last night on discovery. They put out lights over the water to draw the tuna in were they wanted them. Kind of like Crappie fishing. Thing is they said fish go to the light because its easier for them to see the bait fish their after. I've always been told the fish are their because thats were the smaller bait fish go in schools. I dont think they are coming in to see better. Also I was wondering why do the little bait fish come to the lights at night?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you've been told right.but as for why the baitfish are attracted to the lights,you'll have to ask the baitfish,cause im not sure i have te answer:D;)

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

your question about why baitfish are attracted to light,got me to thinking.stands to reason if fish are attracted by the baitfish,and then maybe the baitfish are attracted to something other than the light.i thought since baitfish feed on plankton,maybe it's the plankton that are attracted to the light.so after a little searching i found that to be answer.
    so now we know :D

4. Good thread! Does anyone have the type light that you hook up to your boat battery and throw out? I have the one that has a stick flourescent bulb as well as a downward firing light. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with them? I've used mine a few times at CJ and not had a ton of success (But then again it was on slow fishing nights anyhow.) Typically I'll throw it out in areas where I am marking a good number of fish. I'll either bobber fish with a minnow or pull the bobber off and use a lindy perch rig with minnows. Maybe I'm doing it wrong=)

5. CCRiley2

CCRiley2 Bass-turd

Why are the plankton atracted to the light?

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i knew that one was coming:D:D
    guess this is gonna take more research than i though,LOL.
    maybe they think it will make them grow like the sunlight;)

7. CCRiley2

CCRiley2 Bass-turd

:)
    If I had to bet, I'd say its the heat that attracts the plankton.

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i think it is actually the light.photosynthesis.

9. Don't mean to throw a curve ball at you Misfit, but once while driving back to the boat ramp from the north end at CJ I left my bow mounted spot light on. Several shad jumped out of the water just in front of my bow. When I passed the marina, I hit a school of shad. By the time I was at ramp I had two dozen or so shad in my boat.

Could it also have something to do with instincts? Maybe the bait fish identify light with a food source....?

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that's possible.i've had the same thing happen many times.it's usually this time of year whith the yoy shad by the gzillions,so maybe they're just so thick,they're "just everywhere";)
    in that situation,i've seen them on the surface the same way without a light anywhere on the boat too;)

11. i bought one from cabalas. u tie a wieght to the bottom of it and sumerge it at anny depth. runs off 3 aaa batteries. plan on tring it out this weekend off a dock in the river this weekend. only cost 20.00 bucks

12. Last time I was out at CJ brown, I saw a large john boat (largest I'd ever seen) with at least a dozen 300-500Watt Halogen lights mounted on railing around the boat. Too bad I didn't stay to see the show, but he had to be brighter than the sun with all those lights.

13. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

I think they bow fish with that set-up. I saw one at CC that had a generator running the lights. It was so noisy, I was suprised they saw a thing. I talked to them later and they claim it didn't bother the carp.

14. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

A simple formula to find out how long a light will run off of your
    particular battery is to take the batteries "amp-hour rating" and divide it
    by the average load in amps. So, a 115-amp hour battery running a
    light that pulls 4-amps should last approximately 28.75 hours (115/4).

15. did,nt use my under water fising light.ended up catfish,in last night . got skunked. i,m thankful just the time to go fishing,