close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lightning and fishing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishintiger, Aug 25, 2004.

1. I know this topic was brought up a couple months ago but did anyone see the September issue of Bassmasters? I was reading it here at work on my lunch and there is an article about lightning and fishing. Steve Kuhle of the NOAA says it is important to understand and live by the 30/30 rule. This rule states " After seeing a flash of lightning and individual should begin counting. If he hears thunder in less than 30 seconds, it's time to seek shelter." The second part of the rule says "You should not resume outdoor activities until 30 minutes after the last clap of thunder is heard." Kuhle said any thunder that follows lightning in less than 30 seconds is less than 6 miles away. A fully enclosed structure is the best place to go.

Some interesting facts out of this article.

*Lightning is about 50,000 degrees Fahrrenheit and contains 100 million electrical volts.

*The Highest flash density of lightning inthe US occurs in central Florida

*20% of all lightning strike victims die

*The peak time for lightning casualties is during the month of July, between 12 noon and 2 o'clock

It's a pretty good article. Check it out.

fishintiger

2. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

Did it mention:

"Don't stand with an open umbrella in a lightning storm"

or

"If it lightnings dont jump in the water because electricity travels through water and although some fish may die you will too"

Did it mention any of those?