close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lighted Nocks for Bowhunting

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by DrZ, Jun 15, 2005.

1. DrZ

DrZ

Do any bowhunters out there hunt with lighted nocks? I just picked up a couple of Lumenoks at BPS a few days ago……man are they cool! Shooting them at dusk is like shooting tracer rounds out of my bow. You can bet I will hunt with them this fall. I was a bit skeptical about the accuracy, but they group right with my other arrows at 40 yards. I’m sure there are many situations when they would be helpful in recovering game, finding arrows, and seeing the point of impact. Right now I just like shooting them; they are just plain fun to shoot. Any Lumenock success stories out there? Anyone use any other brand of lighted nock that they prefer?

2. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I split a pack with a buddy this winter, but have not shot them yet. I think they will be great for all of the reasons you mentioned. I missed one last year and later found out that it was wounded. It did live through the winter however I would have known it I hit it with these nocks b/c it was almost dark. Its good to know the group good. thanks.

3. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

How are they powered? Is it something that requires batteries? I have never seen them.

4. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

No they don't required a battery. I don't know what powers them, but you twist them a little bit or pull them back from the arrow and the force of the string pushes them in when you shoot and activates the light in them. Pretty slick.

5. DrZ

DrZ

They have a small litheum battery built in them. You can't replace it. Its good for about 40 hours. There are a few different models and they all turn on or off differently. Do a google search on "lighted nocks" and you will find a couple of websites. The "Archers Flame" website has some cool video clips on it.

DZ

6. BigChessie

I guess 40 hours would be awhile since it is not on all the time. Plus gives you a window to try to find a lost arrow or deer running around with your arrow sticking out of him.

7. DrZ

DrZ

Something I just realized that might be a reason for some people not to use them is that they violate the P&Y rules of fair chase. Not a big deal for most of us, but if you are after a big buck, Dont say I didn't tell ya. ;)

8. BigChessie

Speaking of P&Y, Did they change the let-off % to better fit the modern bows?

9. Yes, they made a change to the guidelines to allow for >65% let-offs. However, any trophy recorded with the higher let-off will be marked with an asterisk indicating as such.