close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Light Weight Rods

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Reel Lady, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Is there any one Rod manufacturer that is known to make "Light" rods....?
    I'm not talking "Ultra Lites" for ultralite fishing. I'm looking for a spinning rod with a backbone that is very light in weight.
    Thanks all :)
    Marcia

2. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

What I've found out....The lighter the rod, the HEAVIER the price! St Croix Avid, Legend Elite I personally own and are much lighter than the $80-100.00 other brands. I've heard that the lightest rod produced now is the Kistler Helium rods. A few pro's endorse them but have not had my hands on one YET! OVER!

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Years ago, while I was the mgr in the Fishing & Hunting section @ All About Sports I remembr seeing some speciality Fenwick rods that were called "Lady Hawks" at least I think they were Fenwicks. I think they were around $90-100, made specially for "women", I think they were just lighter. They looked like nice rods.

4. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

once again ill say they cant be beat in my opinion. pick one up an give it a whirl.. my theory is if im going to fish with it in my hand (not trollin) i want to feel everything thats goin on, and you'll feel it with an avid...

sowbelly

5. Just to back up other guys St. Croix makes some great rods. Gander Mountain usually has an excellent selection of St. Croix rods. Also another great thing they are made in the U. S. A. I used to stock them in a bait shop I operated for about 8 years. They were the only rods I ever stocked that sold themselves. Once a potential buyer handled and fondled the St. Croix none of the other rods I stocked seemed to please the customer as much.

6. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Marcia,I too reccomend the St. Croix Avid.
    Its a great rod for multi species and they are very light with lots of backbone!

7. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i would have to second on fenwicks rods.. they are lighter than most expensive rods..i love my fenwick HMX ..i can cast it all day without getting tired and plays the fish really nice too..

8. G.Loomis GLX......you get what you pay for

9. If you are looking for a ceaper lightweight rod, Dicks has them on sale right now.

Diawa is the manufacturer, regular 29.00 > On Sale for 20.00.

I'm sure its not of the same quality as the St Croix, but still seems like a good rod.

If it breaks on the 25 pound bass I plan on catching this weekend, I'll let youo know :D

10. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

If your willing to spend the money, I would get a St.Croix.

11. FISHERLADY

FISHERLADY Fish OH Master Angler

I have always liked Lightning Rods. They are light and the handle fits good also I have caught many a good fish on them. :B

12. I'm probably gonna buy a new rod-reel combo today as well, last year I bought a new light combo for my gf to fish with, turns out I like it so much I ended up fishing with it more than her. I couldn't believe how far I could cast a light lure with it, and I landed pike in the 22" range with no prob. I put the 8lb diameter spiderwire on and make sure not to bend it too far and it works like a charm. The rod is an ugly stick, the ultra-lite model. I'm planning on buying the same brand today, but I want the premium blue colored, with cork handle. I think they are graphite. Extremely sensitive, and tough as you'd expect with a name like ugly stick. Until I get back down to fin feather fur with money to burn, I'll stick with the top-shelf wal-mart brand. just my 2/100 of a buck.