close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Light and Ulta-light line...

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Sickdog, Apr 7, 2004.

1. I am sick to death of my 6# Stren mono line!!
    When I bought my first ultra-light rig last year I bought a spool of 6#. Everytime I used it, I had line peeling off, getting tangled, horrible coiling and line memory! I thought maybe I spooled to much on so I took it down to 3/4, then to 1/2 full: that didn't help. I respooled fresh line to 3/4, Nope! I need your opinions on a good, solid light line that won't make me want to throw my gear in lake when I fish!
    I havn't used light line in many many years so it could be that I'm just not use to it, or even just got a bad spool. Any Ideas?!

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I think alot of it has to do with the small spools on ultra lite reels..I was having this problem big time this year using 6-lb test, untill I started closeing the bail by hand and not the reel..This has helped alot because I was sometimes getting a loop in the line, and then it came off in a big mess when I CASTED.

3. Sickdog,

I don't know what your budget is, but I have used berkley's 6# (smooth cast?) and haven't had too many problems. However... I think that I am going to respool with 6# Fireline. I think it is supposed to have a 2# diameter. I have also thought about using a flourocarbon leader. probably 6# test.

My thought is that it should alleviate the memory, increase capacity and sensitivity, and not jeopardize line strength. I have heard that superlines can effect the bouyancy of lures and diving depth. I am not a sophisticated enough angler for that to really mean anything to me. :D

I haven't completely thought out the leader yet. I thought it would add to the presentation and help with damage to the line.

Guys please let me know if my logic is flawed. After reading on superlines like Fireline I can't help but think they can be the cat's meow.

Eric

4. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Go to bass pro and get some Mr. Crappie line. Its VERY strong line and is really cheap. I think like 2000yds of 6lb test for $5.

5. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I use 4lb Mr. Crappie line and got a spool of 3,100 yards for not much. I have no complaints about it and use it on all of my ultralites and ice fishing poles. Works good for me. I just respool a few times a year since I have so much of it.

6. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

Assuming that your putting the line on the reel correctly, your problem may not be with the line. If the reel arbor is too large for the size of the rod guides, you line can bunch up/tangle while trying to get through the guides. Before doing anything drastic, or expensive, I would recommend trying an easy cast with just a sinker that is the heaviest that the rod is rated for. This will keep the line tight as it's pulled from the spool and going through the guides. If the line does not act up when you do this, in all likelyhood the problem is not with your line.

Also you might want to check the way your casting. In general, ultralite rigs will act up more when you "snap" your casts. Try a smoother motion when you cast and see if that does not eliminate the problem. I've been using true ultralite outfits for many years and seldom have the problems you are experiencing.

7. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

for the first time this year i tried P-line xxtra. Both in 4 and 6 lb test. All i can say is EXCELLENT. Very limp and little memory. Cost a bit more but its very strong.

Mitch

8. I have been thinking about going to fireline as well. It's worth a try at least!
    I don't really care about the cost. Why spend 80 bucks on a rig, 5 bucks on a lure and then put cheap line on? That's my theory.
    I'm sure I put the line on right, at the least the second time I spooled it. It is possible that I am "snapping" my casts a bit too much. I am admittedly no expert on using light gear! I think I will try casting the sinker out, with a smoother stroke, and see if that helps. Then pick up some fireline next time I'm out at BPS, also some of that Mr. Crappie. I have heard others praise that stuff also.
    Thanks again guys!
    Sickdog

9. try some bass pro excel line been using it for yrs :D
    4# test line it will straighten out a 1/16 or 1/8 jig hook most of the time :D
    use 4# up to 10# and never had any trouble with it 1500 yrds $7.99 4 one
    $6.99 4 two or more i've used there green line 4 a long time an 90% of my fishing is light line 4# an 6# realy strong stuff
    bought some of bps sportsman line real cheap 3000yrds $4.99 pretty good stuff cast good but not very tough u have 2 retie after a couple of fish
    just my 2 cents worth :cool:

mrtwister_jbo

10. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

P-Line XXtra is the best mono I have used, hands down. Spool it up and you won't regret it.

11. "J"

"J"

But a quicker way to find out if the line is bad while you're fishing is tie off to something and then walk away with the rod and go out about 20 feet longer then your average cast and then close the bail and pull the line like you have a snag just shy of breaking it, then reel it back in tight, if you start fishing again and have no problems than its the line if not its your guides like Grumpy stated. Allot of spools sit on shelves for an extended period and build a memory in it. "J"

12. JakeFr5150

JakeFr5150 Mr. Bug Rod

I use Iron Silk in 4 lb test on all my Ultralight rigs. Made the switch last year and I've never had any problems with it. Casts great, little to no memory, and extremely durable. Wouldn't trade the line for anything at this point. I'll probably never go back to a conventional Mono unless they discontinue it. Although, I've thought about trying out the Mr. Crappie line on some of my spare spools.

That being said, I've been using Ultralight tackle for about 6 years now, and would have to say that 90% of the problems with line with them is that alot of the equiptment is simply poorly designed. Reels are usually made with spools that are simply too small, or with line rollers that are super tiny and barely spin, thus putting some twist in line. Smaller diameter line seems to compound the issue. You're never going to eliminate twist totally, but you can delay it by buying a reel with a bigger line roller. Closing the bail manually also helps. Alot of rigs will cause the line to coil and sometimes wrap around the top of the spool instead of go where it is supposed to when closing by reeling in.

Hope this helps you out,
    Jake

13. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I have the same problems with line twist on ultralights. I think most of my problems come from the roller guide not turning and the spool size very small. My Quantum always twists line no matter which rod/line I use, from my 5 footer to my 10.5 footer. I used to have a cheap Ice Bones ultralight reel that was excellent for casting and the roller guide was free spinning, but a fish took it down the ice hole. I'm looking for a good ultralight reel.

14. Does your reel have antireverse? I found that some problems are caused by not having it on some older cheaper reels. On my choice for best light line i think P-line fluoroclear is the best. it has about 7 lb test strength and 3 lb diameter-so no leader is needed. i would caution you to tie good knots as they do tend to slip if not well tied.