Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow.. Thats crazy! Next thing they are gonna be telling us is that we have to be seated at all times too.

May 1st too no less? The water temps around here are 70+.

Hopefully we dont follow NY.

·
STX 206 Viper
1,873 Posts
I wear my PFD if I'm jigging the reefs in early spring in my smallish boat. I do so because I'm aware that I wouldn't last long in the cold water if I fell in. It's certainly not because some politicians told me to. I think that PDFs, seat belts, helmets, should all be personal choices, not mandates from some do-gooders.
Hopefully Ohio will allow us to keep some of our freedoms.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Wow.. Thats crazy! Next thing they are gonna be telling us is that we have to be seated at all times too.

May 1st too no less? The water temps around here are 70+.

Hopefully we dont follow NY.
what body of water is 70+ in ohio in may??? mid june maybe but most that i know of arent in the mid 70's till july

·
Registered
148 Posts
I keep a log book of when I catch fish, where, how many, what we were using, water temp, and depth. Milton was 70 on may 16th this past year.

·
Woody in Akron
480 Posts
This is probably not what you'd like to hear, but, according to the Div. of Watercraft guys this really isn't too far off the horizon. It is very possible that it this will happen here and more likely sooner than later.

If you don't have a good vest, I'd look into their Lifejacket giveaway "Wear it Ohio" program this next year...get something you can live with, free, from them, and get used to wearing it. They have been offering $90-120.00 inflatable lifejackets for free...just sign an agreement to wear it. Also good looking "standard models" for kids. I got the fannypack model, least restrictive, wear it every time I am out, and I don't really notice mine when I am wearing it anymore.

Accidents do happen even to "good" boaters. I had a canoe to turn over on me at Nimi early spring a couple years ago...more than fifty feet off-shore, water about fifty degrees...I was lucky to get out of there alive.

I recently heard a report that fishing is the most dangerous sport there is...resulting in more deaths and injuries than Boxing, Rock Climbing, Spelunking, or Skydiving. There is a strong lobby for this...they may not be boaters themselves... but they believe that they are armed with the facts. Being honest, when the push is on, what facts do we have to go against them?
Good Fishing,
Woody in Akron
Portage Lakes/Coventry

·
Banned
167 Posts
While I am fully in support of wearing a PFD in a small boat especially when alone, the 21' limit is kind of ridiculous. There is no way in hell for example that you are going to accidentally fall overboard on my father's 20' Sea Ray unless you are doing something incredibly stupid, like standing on the engine cover when the throttle is hammered. Other shallower draft boats while in exceptionally rough seas, well maybe, but it is still pretty unlikely unless you are doing something incredibly stupid.

I think I am about sick of people trying to protect me from myself so that they can feel like their lives are meaningful.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
lake milton may be that warm but not erie!i think wearing a life vest is good in some cases. you fall in erie in april,i think ya want to get out .....real fast!!!!!

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
sounds like a good excuse to move up a couple of feet :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Seems like a good idea that all should heed, but still there should be a personal choice.
I fell in twice accidentally last year. It is no fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts