Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has definitely been a tough year for many people. Covid-19 has forced many people into situations they never anticipated. It's not exactly Covid forced but the pandemic has contributed to a change in our family financial strategy. I retired from public service several years ago, but my wife has continued to work and had planned on working until she was medicare eligible. Well that plan has just been drastically altered as she will now voluntarily take early retirement as of January 1st to help out her company. They were going to change her to part time or she could take an early retirement plan. She opted for the early retirement.

So throw out the old financial plan and develop a new one. We will fix up the house and adjust to less income. We want to avoid tapping retirement savings if possible. What that means is cutting away any excess. Which means less play money and recreational funds. The saddest part of this is I will probably need to sell the boat I just bought in 2018. I never had a pure fishing boat as we always mixed recreational boating with fishing, but since the kids are gone I splurged on a fishing boat. Now it looks like that will have to go. I haven't been without a boat in decades and not sure whether I'll go naked or look for an older boat I can buy outright.

I have seen other post that have talked about hardships as well. How has Covid impacted your recreation, hunting and fishing? Please lets just keep it to this topic and not get off on what was right or wrong about what politicians or doctors said or done. Keep it to how it changed your life and fun. I guess I am venting and maybe you need to vent too. At least so far we are healthy.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah muddy I am just starting to think about the alternatives. I have a 2018 tracker pro guide deep V 16 side console with a 4 stroke mercury 60HP. I would still like to stay with a V hull of some type. Not to that point yet, but will be unless I do like Tom suggested, find a way to make some extra income and keep it. My health will dictate that though, I have a heart condition and asthma.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
This covid sure has made many of us have to make personal life adjustments. I haven't seen my girl in the Philippines for about a year now because of it and can't travel back there again until travel is open.

I see these really nice fishing boats some guys have, the 18' lunds,crestliners and so on. I dream of having one for myself one day. But I've had this 1976 14' fiberglass mirrorcraftskiff/trihull for almost 20 years and caught so many fish on it,probably keep it around forever.

You could get a simple 16' v bottom with a 9.9, personalize it and fish any lake in ohio very comfortably.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
back in 1965/66 spent some time in a small ship repair yard in the phili at sangley point [navy emg place ] but I was in the army. very nice people. I often think about touring there.

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,234 Posts
the last recession in 08 or so almost took me out, if wife didn't have a good job we'd have been toast but it was tough sledding for 5 years... my business went from pretty good to in the crapper practically overnight and the bills didn't slow one bit, more $$$ going out than coming in, we did a lot of downsizing and cutting of the excesses ... there weren't a ton of jobs beckoning, I did about 5 part time and numerous temporary gigs until I found a real job again in 2016, it's taken until now to get back to some semblance of stability ... I'm gonna be 69 and was hoping to be at most a part time employee somewhere which I could do around fishing and playing a little poker, but not working full time isn't an option right now ... fortunate to have a job that pays OK (but not great :p) that I can do w/o killing myself most days, wife has at least 5 more years before she can retire, we're hoping to have house and vehicles paid off and a better nest egg ... I'm putting all of my SSI into an account and adding what I can from paychecks, if nothing else this Covid thing has forced saving because I can't go anywhere and spend anything ... laugh it hasn't deterred my spouse, she's on a 1 woman campaign to keep Amazon and QVC afloat :rolleyes: not to mention UPS and FedEx, they have our address locked into their GPS :cool:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I’m fortunate

First off, it’s a sellers market for used boats. Mine is a 2018, beennthinking about upgrading.

I think I’m going to put mine up for sale for almost what I paid for it brand new, and see how close I could come to getting that, and then just go ahead and buy a new one.

used to travel a LOT for work , that stopped in March, but still having a good year.

Just got back from vacation and it’s also a good time to go on that.....airfare is very cheap right now. No tour buses-period-at National Parks, most lodging near parks, running near capacity.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I took a leap of faith and decided to start my own small environmental company literally a month before Covid hit. Luckily, most of my work stems from home inspections and real estate transactions and the housing market is booming right now. It's hard to say how the long term effects are going to affect my business, but there's nothing we can do except hope and pray for the best. I defiantly feel for the people who have spent their lives building up a company just to lose it all.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Also fortunate that our company was deemed essential as we supply hospitals and the military. Took a hit in pay for a while until OH let us claim reduced employment. Wife never slowed down in her job, either.

Only “hit” to my recreation was the lockdowns and too many people buying new boats with all the unemployment benefits they got. Lakes are a zoo right now. Come on cooler weather. Need a reservation just to get off the lake. Send them recreational boaters to the barn! ;):p

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I'm retired and very comfortable and really don't have any hardships. Like other have said "we're saving money" just because of lack of options to go out and do anything.
My boat is an old 94 Tracker with a new motor (2017 60 4 stroke) and new TM (2019 MK Terrova). If I had a new boat, no way would I sell it. I'd do whatever it took to make enough to pay it off and get comfortable again. Of course I hate loans so I won't buy anything if I have to take out a loan.
I put together my own retirement plan. No pension and only my 401 and IRA's to fund me and I made sure I had some extra "just in case"

·
Registered
636 Posts
Been there 4 times,really enjoy myself.
Was Stationed at San Miguel Communications Station before the U.S. pulled out. Nice country, beautiful women. Buddy is retired there. As for the OP, I’m deemed essential, so I havent seen any time off. Work is steady. Best of luck to folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Was Stationed at San Miguel Communications Station before the U.S. pulled out. Nice country, beautiful women. Buddy is retired there. As for the OP, I’m deemed essential, so I havent seen any time off. Work is steady. Best of luck to folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I've made more money during this covid thing than ever before. I mainly haul food coast to coast and the government opened up my log restrictions. Made great money for the 2 months it lasted but barely got any sleep.

Love those island girls.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yeah, I've made more money during this covid thing than ever before. I mainly haul food coast to coast and the government opened up my log restrictions. Made great money for the 2 months it lasted but barely got any sleep.

Love those island girls.
Thank you for your service as well as all of the other truckers that have helped keep the country running during Covid

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Thank you for your service as well as all of the other truckers that have helped keep the country running during Covid
To be honest it was pretty scary at first,before everyone knew much about the virus. And I'm always in the "hotspots". I'm thankful it wasnt nearly as bad as first believed or all these big cities would literally starve out completely within 2 weeks once the truckers got sick.

It was so terrifying because always around the general public, I was just pooping in crazy places and showering out of a plastic jug hiding at night because I didn't want to use the public restrooms and showers.

I believe I got covid, had a shortness of breath I've never felt before in my life, fever and light cough for a few days. It was horrible laying in my truck out in the desert wondering if I was gonna die.
Thank goodness this wasnt even closely as bad as the last pandemic the world had.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I'm also comfortably retired, but i still have an old boat. It's an "89" sea nymph gls and i love this boat. I'm just preparing to put a new transom in it which looks to be a pretty busy job.
Just for the heck of it, i've been looking at newer boats and the costs are astronomical. Some of these aluminum boats are four or five years old and their still bringing like new dollars.
I have no major payments, but i refuse to take out another loan again at my age.
Good luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I appreciate all the thoughts and comments. A special thanks to all you who served our nation in the military. Karl and the rest of the truckers, you are the arteries of our economy, thanks. The fact you had to lay in your truck sick and not have access to regular food and hygiene is certainly a change caused by Covid. It seems most here commenting has faired reasonably well, but many have not. It seems retired people already on a fixed income and reliable source have done much better than those working every day. I know it has brought a lot more people out into the woods, fields and streams and made it uneasy for many of us. I hope we see a return to normal soon.

I haven't decided yet what to do. The problem came about when this new thing changed our plan. We had a plan to have our house repaired and remodeled and all our big purchases made and paid off before my wife retired in June 2024. We were also putting away a large part of our money for those days. Part of what is causing the pinch is I bought some new farm equipment (that cost way more than a boat) that I really need to keep and it would have been paid off in time. So it comes down to keeping it over a boat that is purely recreational. It's just a life choice. The thing is, this plan was altered by Covid. In my life I have rarely ever put myself in this kind of position, but a pandemic done it. Actually we are quite comfortable, just sorting out priorities. I guess I differ from many of you. I can live without a boat, if I must. I spend more time stream fishing anyway. Even if I get rid of this one I'll find something I can fish out of that I can just buy outright.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I appreciate all the thoughts and comments. A special thanks to all you who served our nation in the military. Karl and the rest of the truckers, you are the arteries of our economy, thanks. The fact you had to lay in your truck sick and not have access to regular food and hygiene is certainly a change caused by Covid. It seems most here commenting has faired reasonably well, but many have not. It seems retired people already on a fixed income and reliable source have done much better than those working every day. I know it has brought a lot more people out into the woods, fields and streams and made it uneasy for many of us. I hope we see a return to normal soon.

I haven't decided yet what to do. The problem came about when this new thing changed our plan. We had a plan to have our house repaired and remodeled and all our big purchases made and paid off before my wife retired in June 2024. We were also putting away a large part of our money for those days. Part of what is causing the pinch is I bought some new farm equipment (that cost way more than a boat) that I really need to keep and it would have been paid off in time. So it comes down to keeping it over a boat that is purely recreational. It's just a life choice. The thing is, this plan was altered by Covid. In my life I have rarely ever put myself in this kind of position, but a pandemic done it. Actually we are quite comfortable, just sorting out priorities. I guess I differ from many of you. I can live without a boat, if I must. I spend more time stream fishing anyway. Even if I get rid of this one I'll find something I can fish out of that I can just buy outright.
Often I'm searching around craigslist looking around at boat prices. You can find a decent 14-16' aluminum with motor for under $3000.

This covid and shutdowns certainly impacted many of the working folks greatly as you mentioned.
But in reality, the way pandemics have gone throughout history, we got pretty lucky on this one and I'll be blessed to not see another.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts