close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

licking river

Discussion in 'Canoes & Kayaks' started by sauguy, Aug 13, 2007.

1. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

several of us from the fish ohio canoe club are planning a float trip on the licking river from newark thur the blackhand gorge state nature preserve. any one float that section? any info would be helpful.

2. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

My brother and I floated from just south of the Longaberger basket building down through there last year. It was a beautiful float, but I did not get a single bite the whole trip!!! And I know how to catch fish in Central Ohio streams!

We did encounter one strainer that covered the whole river. We were going to portage until we realized that we would have to carry our 115lb canoe filled up with another 40 lbs of gear over about 200 yds. We were barely able to sneak under it and almost got turned sideways on it. The next week the river was up a couple of inches and a family with a handicapped daughter capsized there and had to call for rescue. I'm sure that it's not there anymore with all of the high water we had this spring, but who knows what took its place? I fish one of its tribs a lot and it has more logs in it this year than I have ever seen.

3. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

thanks for the info