Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this idea from the show wicked tuna. Im just curious if its possible to get a license that allows you to catch fish with rod and reel, and then sell them to a vendor, restaurants, stores ect... Is it just a regular commercial fishing license? Any idea on cost? Cant seem to find much info.
We fish the lake a about 3 times per week, and it would be nice to be able to sell some of the catch and pay for the cost of bait, ice, gas ect... Im all about free fishing! Thx

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Sounds like if you get a commercial license you'd have to give up recreational fishing for walleye...
It is unlawful for any commercial fisherman to take walleye, sauger, sturgeon, mooneye, cisco, or brook, brown,
rainbow, or lake trout, or coho, chinook, or pink salmon from Lake Erie or its tributaries or to possess any of the
aforementioned species while on Lake Erie or its tributaries.

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
3,472 Posts
I got this idea from the show wicked tuna. Im just curious if its possible to get a license that allows you to catch fish with rod and reel, and then sell them to a vendor, restaurants, stores ect... Is it just a regular commercial fishing license? Any idea on cost? Cant seem to find much info.
We fish the lake a about 3 times per week, and it would be nice to be able to sell some of the catch and pay for the cost of bait, ice, gas ect... Im all about free fishing! Thx

If you thought it was that easy don't you think every one would be doing it ? First and for most The State only gives out so many Commercial licenses and when one does go up for sale the others " Commercial guys" usually buy them up.
Plus also remember they only Net Yellow Perch-White perch-white Bass some other things like Catfish. BUT No Walleyes! They are a Game fish in ohio just like small mouth Bass.

All Walleyes sold here Come from Canada!

And Yes I agree with CarpetBagger ! Lol

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i figured there was a reason everyone wasnt doin it. I dont know how throwing them back will help with trip costs...? Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
627 Posts
make some open seats on your boat and we can help with the gas and bait. If you go out in the west end of the lake I can help with gas and bait every now and then

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,421 Posts
Yeah i figured there was a reason everyone wasnt doin it. I dont know how throwing them back will help with trip costs...? Thanks for the responses.

It won't help with the cost but will help with the surplus of walleye fillets. Keep less, clean less have less fish to worry about.

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
3,472 Posts
Cant help With the cost ? But I agree with Kgone ?

Did you ever hear of Catch & Release ? Bass fisherman do it all the time and they never complain about costs !

There is more to fishing than Just Catching and Killing them !

Fish else where and you will see people spending $$$ To just catch and release a Sailfish -Tarpoon - Redfish- or even a Bonefish

·
Registered
93 Posts
No catfish for CF either Just perch on Erie and I believe when the present licence holder (CF) dies or quits that licence is retired and never reissued

1 - 15 of 15 Posts