close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Leesville report 6/5, 6/6

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by esoxhunter, Jun 7, 2004.

1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

Spent the weekend at Leesville with a few friends. Got my second lunge of the year at about 3PM on Saturday. Trolled it up on an AC Shiner "00". Just like last weekend, the fish was sitting in about 14' of water and I had my lure running about 8' deep. This fish fought like heck when I first grabbed the rod but then seemed to calm down. I just winched it in for a little while and then realized it was directly under the boat. I gave it another tug and this guy shot out of the water within about 2 feet of the boat and did a complete flip in mid air. I nearly had a stroke. I never saw a musky in mid air at eye level. WOW WHAT A THRILL !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    A couple hours later I was casting a bucktail around some boat docks and raised what should have been my first Huskie. This fish materialized at boatside and appeared to be really hot on the bucktail. It took one swipe on the figure 8 but never touched the bait. I continued the figure 8 at a much faster pace and got it to chomp the bait. By this point I was a total nervous wreck and put the worst hook-set ever on this mid 40's fish. Pulled the bucktail right out of her mouth without ever getting a hook in her....
    ...before I could catch my breath, my buddy raised another fish on the same dock. This one was smaller and lazy though. Showed itself on a glider for about 5 seconds then dissappeared.
    Only caught the 36, but it was the most exciting day of fishing I've ever had.
    The water was still up, but nice and clear. Had about 6' of visibility. Water temp was 68 in the morning and got to 75 by late afternoon.
    When I caught my fish, I was alone so the pics might be a little sketchy. I'm gonna develop them tomorrow and add a couple to this thread.
    EH

2. Congrats. Esox I wanted to know how many feet of line you usually let out when you are trolling. Thanks!!! ;)

3. esoxhunter

generally I have about 20-30 feet of line behind the boat. This fluctuates greatly depending on the lure and how deep I want to be. I've caught fish on as little as 10' of line out.
    EH

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

That sounds exciting as heck, I wish you could have got a hook in the big one..Congrats on the one you did catch.

5. esoxhunter

wish someone had been on the boat with me to take a pic. oh well...

Attached Files: