Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Went to Leesville today on a lark. Just shore fishing for bluegill (My son calls them 'puppyfish' for some unknown reason...), had a great time.

In the rocky shallows near one of the docks/put ins, we saw a fairly large smallmouth. Beautiful fish - blueish scales in the sun, very cool. We thought it was following our lures, but I think now that it was perhaps protecting a spawn and just chasing our lures away. Wasn't the least bit interested in anything we tossed to it. Still, very fun and neat to see a big fish up close in water so pretty and clear.

Do any of you go to Leesville? Where do you recommend we camp? We have a tent, so we need a nice patch of flat ground. Petersburg Marina had a lot of spots, but they were very steeply pitched down to the water. Not the best place for a tent... Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Sarah

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just bumpin'!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I camp at petersburg all the time. (Camper) But have tent camped there before too. It's not a horrible campground for tenters but with primitive bathrooms and no showers long stays can be a little stinky. Specially if you catch/clean alot of fish.

I have not tent camped at Clows but from what I've seen Clows has more kids and kid activities than PB. I don't think Clows has any showers either. But I do know there bathrooms are much cleaner.

Either way you'll have a great time. It's a nice relaxed atmosphere with the 9.9 the maniacs stay off the water.

Have fun!!

BTW...Leesville doesn't have smallmouth. It was prolly a Largemouth. (unless people planted them there. MWCD/DNR has never stocked them in there purposely.) A bass is a bass in my book!! I'll take either one! ;)

·
Livin' the moontime
846 Posts
there is a primitive campsite near Clow's marina on Deer Road. Only an outhouse in this campsite, but only a 2 minute walk to a real restroom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts