close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Leesville first Muskie

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by webothfish, Jul 27, 2008.

1. webothfish

webothfish Steubenville

After about the third year of part time trolling, Finally got our first muskie. Not huge, about 30 in. but hey, its the first one we've got. Trolling deep in the middle of the 85 deg. day last week, and i almost fell over when the pole took off. I said I got a muskie on, and she didn't believe me until it jumped. Finally got it to the boat and she did a perfect net job. Took a pic, and after a couple of seconds on top, it took off. Next one should be easy right? Went again this week and not a strike or follow that I saw. Did see some rolling around though. Should i be using giant baits this time of year, or stick with the mid size stuff. I need to get one bigger than 30 in.

2. Consider yourself lucky. Leesville has been tough the past two weeks and I hear august is the toughest month of them all. We troll Lee Sisson's and a homemade shad bait. The sisson is only like 3.5inches long and the other bait is around 5 inches.

3. webothfish

webothfish Steubenville

Thanks, fm. I'll have to look up Lee Sissons, and some others in those sizes. I've never even had a hit on those giant lures you see all the time. Nice fish in your picture. Thats what I'm after.

4. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Bulldawg

Webothfish congrats on your first musky. Like fishing marshall said sissons are a good bait to troll or cast, but the last few years the fish have not been taking to the baits like they used to. Not saying they wont catch fish . But the last few years I have really got away from the sissons. In 2003 I fished that lake very hard and with nothing but sissons, and I caught 33 muskies that year all on sissons. Honestly since then the fish have not reacted to those baits like they used to. The muskies have really been hot on 9" sledges and magnum bulldawg. But regardless just stick with it and be confident. Confidence is a big part of musky fishing with me and all my tackle. Hope this helps . Any other questions let me know.

5. webothfish

webothfish Steubenville

Thanks guys, I'll take any information i can get. I picked up a few deep divers 7-8 inches long at cabelas and i'll try them. I have some ideas to make some spinnerbaits too and try that. We'll try again this weekend and see if we can get a husky on.