Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Been a long time since ive had to use ogf. Im planning a short bass fishing trip to leesville lake (weather permitting) mid week to next weekend. I have questions as ive never been there. Here goes. How is the water conditions down there as far as temp and clarity go at the moment? Is there still alot of flooding going on? Do you guys have smallmouth? Do you guys have nice largemouth? Or nice bass in general? My most important question is would a 14 foot flat-bottom with only a trolling motor (electric) be okay for that lake? Im not for sure how rough it could get. I assume not very, but i have seen how some of those resevoirs can get. I would not be going very far. Just want to get out a little ways and maybe find some fish in a new to me body of water. And would like to do so safely. Dont think I could see mysef getting close to the dam. Unless on foot. But anyway if not, I see alot of public land, but how accessible is it? Would I have to rough it in to alot of the areas? One more question I have is if i was to catch a musky, what are the chances it could die due to water temp stress? I plan on deeply researching safe handling of them in the off chance I hook one. Im pretty much a dedicated catch and release guy. Even trophy bass. ( recreation is just a better option for them). Anyway, those are my questions. If anybody could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated. For two side notes also 1. If there is a better place for this thread let me know (I rarely get on here anymore) wnd 2. I am NOT expecting guys to give me all the hot secrets and reports. Just want to checkout a different body of water and catch a few bass.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey guys! Been a long time since ive had to use ogf. Im planning a short bass fishing trip to leesville lake (weather permitting) mid week to next weekend. I have questions as ive never been there. Here goes. How is the water conditions down there as far as temp and clarity go at the moment? Is there still alot of flooding going on? Do you guys have smallmouth? Do you guys have nice largemouth? Or nice bass in general? My most important question is would a 14 foot flat-bottom with only a trolling motor (electric) be okay for that lake? Im not for sure how rough it could get. I assume not very, but i have seen how some of those resevoirs can get. I would not be going very far. Just want to get out a little ways and maybe find some fish in a new to me body of water. And would like to do so safely. Dont think I could see mysef getting close to the dam. Unless on foot. But anyway if not, I see alot of public land, but how accessible is it? Would I have to rough it in to alot of the areas? One more question I have is if i was to catch a musky, what are the chances it could die due to water temp stress? I plan on deeply researching safe handling of them in the off chance I hook one. Im pretty much a dedicated catch and release guy. Even trophy bass. ( recreation is just a better option for them). Anyway, those are my questions. If anybody could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated. For two side notes also 1. If there is a better place for this thread let me know (I rarely get on here anymore) wnd 2. I am NOT expecting guys to give me all the hot secrets and reports. Just want to checkout a different body of water and catch a few bass.
Lake is flooded and I doubt will be back to anywhere near normal next week.Can't use the launch ramps at this time

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lake is flooded and I doubt will be back to anywhere near normal next week.Can't use the launch ramps at this time
How flooded are we talking? Can i leave the boat behind and bank fish do i need to pick out a different lake? Or I could just wait a little longer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The lake is still 8' above summer pool. I am guessing it will be 2-3 weeks before you can launch depending on the future rain. You could bank fish the dam but very limited access other than that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As of 1 PM today it is still up over 7'. Check the usage sire for continued updates. Atwood came up over 6" since yesterday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
boat ramps are closed at atwood and leesville and lakes are no wake zones on whole lake and roads into ramps are under water

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
boat ramps are closed at atwood and leesville and lakes are no wake zones on whole lake and roads into ramps are under water
Alright yea theres flooding all over ohio. I didnt think about it but even up here on the big lake its been flooding alot. Im looking more into the west branch area area now its closer to me and has 3 unfamiliar to me lakes sort of close. Thanks for the info.

·
Steubenville
172 Posts
i went to Atwood thursday and still ramps closed, then to Leesville and same story. didn
t even get the boat in the water,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts