Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
went out with magnus for about 8 hours, fishing was slow. water was 80--85 degrees, clear for leesville. picked up one about half way through the day. about 35 or so, not the fifty we were looking for, but saved us from the skunk. also saw a huge dead musky, a dang shame. we marked an insane amount of bait and big fish.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nah couldn't get close enough, he was deep in a thick tree. big ski tho, i bet at least 45 or so. and it was real fat, which could have been from bloating, not to sure, like i said didn't get a close look.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was out there all day yesterday, think I saw the fish you were talking about it was out in the middle early, had some hook marks in its jaw, other than that it was clean. Striper did you guys have the boat with three guys in it?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya 16 ft. lowe. what boat where you in? you guys get anything? and how big was that dead fish?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was in a tan and green crestliner, was by myself, got a 34" trolling and a 29" casting, no big ones. That dead one was 42-43, nice fish to bad it didn't make it, but it happens sometimes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ya seein a dead one sucks. dm were you marking all kinds of big fish on the shoreline( side with white cross) on both sides outta the big cove? We have never marked fish like that b4 it was incredible. Well back to work for the week, btw dm is it even worth going to leesville on the weekend? I never have but imagine its pretty hectic

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
oh yeah i saw you, couple times if im not mistaken. nice seeing ya out there, i'll recognize you next time. what time you catch them ski's? was it when the cloud cover hit for a little bit?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It doesn't take much at all to stress muskies out in the hot water-especially big ones. Taking them out of the water is like puting them in a frying pan with the water temps the way they are these past few weeks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yeh 85 degrees is warm, I usually like to leave them in the water, get the hooks out, measured, take a quick Pic and put them back in as fast as I can.
Losing any Muskie sucks but I guess it is part of the game, a bad part of the game but still, it happens :(

Edited to Add: What did everyone catch theirs on and what color & depth ?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i hate this bait. the lee sisson crap bait. I have never seen a lure that I hate and love so much. I love it because when they run, they run good, and produce fish. But it seems like once I get a fish or a snag, I can never get them back in tune. Also the majority I bought last year from fin feather and fur have lips that are not perpendicular to the center line of the body. They're cockeyed. This makes me wonder if somehow I got a bunch of defective untunable baits. I was considering contacting the company about this, just kind of think it might be a waste of time. Does anyone else have these problems? It's a real letdown when a bait looks so good, and you can't get it to run right....frustrating. We were fishing from 8 to 12 feet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I caught one at 12:30, and then one right when the clouds rolled in heavily at 4:30?, I marked fish all day pretty much everywhere, but after dark I quit marking fish do all the fish just go shallow?

Striper, try bending the eye by hand and not with pliers, this will give you a finer adjustment I have a couple that wouldn't tune quite right but I kept them just to cast with, and the new monster shads that are 12' divers I have they are hard to tune also, so I just refinished my old ones.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ill try it by hand next time. thanks. as to what they do when it's night....??? I'm new to this still trying to figure em out. It would make sense that they go shallow, when the sun goes down, but you'll have to ask someone else about that.

·
Trophy Tamer
1,480 Posts
The Lee Sisson is just a cheap bass bait that works good on muskies in "small bait" lakes. There's tons and tons of other small musky baits that work equally well if not better than sissons. Granted, I usually run one sisson at leesville when I'm there, but that just me being superstitious. Some other favorites are lil ernies, mini tuff shads (4"), muskietrain loco shad and diesels, and gramdma shads.

As far as night fishing there, I've only landed one musky and one pig largemouth after dark. The owner of clow's swears on 27 feet of line out on the sisson after dark, it's his favorite number. The fish definately move up in the water column after dark. Slow it down a bit too, 2.5-3.5

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks jim, I feel the same way about sissons. junk. but at leesville we always have one on. I am going to have to invest in some of the other small musky baits. The guy at petersburg marina also swears by 27 feet of line with the sissons.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Funny story about the 27' the guy down at petersburgh, the one that rides his harley all the time, well at least used to, swears by that even in the summer time, have yet to catch one like that on a sisson. So I'll try when nothing else is working, but I don't ever do well with that set up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts