close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ledge Lake (1-30)

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Jan 30, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

My dad and I met up out here for a few hours today....we had a great time, the trout cooperated somewhat although i beleive the thinner line i was using was the ticket to success.

ice: about 6"

water: stained

trout: plentiful....go out and get some!

2. Dingo

Dingo

Any size to the trout? Seems that they have been stocking smaller trout over the past couple of years. The trout I caught at Wallace earlier in the month were very small and skinny. Caught one a bit over a foot and a few guys stated that it was the biggest trout they saw caught from wallace this season.

I haven't fished Ledge for many years (like 20), and recall that there were some nice 'gills in there. Have you caught any decent ones between the trout?

3. hardwaterfan

Dingo, we didnt measure the trout but overall i was impressed...they mostly seemed to be "big" as far as stocked trout go....they were pretty nice, only maybe 2 or so out of the 8 we caught (some were released) were of the skinny smallish variety. and even those werent too bad.

a funny thing happened to me, i caught one and as i was pulling him up, he couldnt get through the "glass ceiling" of ice that developed on my one hole and eventually shook off. went to tap it with my boot and he shook loose.

i imagine soon they will do the 2nd stocking to all the lakes if they havent already.

my dad caught one gill, was about 6 or 7" (smallish). that was the only gill we caught.

marked a lot of fish on the bottom, beleive they were gills or crappie.....they wouldnt bite.

4. EJH

EJH

I hit Wallace on Sunday for 2 hrs with my son. Things seemed really slow and we only got two gills between us. Ice was fine. Lots of people fishing but not much catching.

5. hardwaterfan

According to the recorded message this morning they havent done the 2nd stocking yet but i imagine it should be any day now.

The 5 lakes are:

Wallace
    Ranger
    Shadow
    Ledge
    Judge

This would be a good way to get some new people to experience ice fishing. Just use tiny jigs/flies tipped with maggots/waxies/powerbait and fish from 1/3 to 1/2 way down whatever water depth you are in. (in general) Also small shiny spoons actively jigged tipped with a waxie was getting some bites for me.