close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

leaving old line on while respooling?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Banker, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Banker

Banker Banned

I seem to be going through a lot of line (& lures)lately. I have a couple lightish action spinning reels (one of which the spring loaded bail just broke- a slightly older (15 years?) red Silstar EX 30-can anyone here fix this?-its just the spring that went out I think). The other is a pflueger gold medalist pro - next up from the smallest size. Anyways when I go to respool (I pretty much respool when I cast and it goes to the end of the line) I end up throwing away like 80-100 feet of "older" line (though that still hasn't been used much). Is there some kind of knot I can tie bw new line and the old line that could solve this problem (and still cast smoothly when it gets to the knot). Or is it just a bad idea (breakage/strength issues)I feel like I'm wasting a lot of line. Plus its expensive. Thanks.

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i always just put on what i need . once i lose 100 ft of line i stip off another 50 ft or so and only respool from there. always leave old line on for backing of new line. if spooling for a brand new reel put on enough old line first so that you only need 150 ft to fill up the spool. 150ft or 50 yrds is plenty for fishing and casting.

3. Banker

Banker Banned

what knot do you use to connect old line with new? while it may not make too much of a dince, if one is preferred let me know. thanks.

4. Slikster

Slikster Shore Bound

5. Banker

Banker Banned

for not realizing to just strip off an extra 50 feet before connecting old with new....to think that I was just gonna tie old to new where the old left off.....but I am quite excited now knowing that I won't be using up so much line...thank you very much, banker.

6. I use the uni-knot as it provides the smallest diameter joint.

7. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

You don't want to get to the knot in the line when you are fishing. You could be fighting a fish and break off at the knot, or if you are trying to free a snag it could break.
    You also lose a lot of casting distance when your spool is not full.