Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
It's all about the doin'
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Downriggers, dipsies, in-line weights....

Does everyone use all of the above options or can a poor guy get away with not buying downriggers ?

I've trolled for salmon and steelhead on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron with guys that knew what they were doing but I want to learn.

I'm an empty nester starting this fall so I plan on getting back into Lake Erie fishing. Trolling is a different game than the Erie Dearies of the 80's - 90's
I had a boat at the islands from 1986-1994.
There is a new boat in my future for the spring and I want to shorten the learning curve starting now.

If anyone wants to mentor a 49 year old on the basics of trolling I am a willing student that gladly pitches in for gas and buys breakfast.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
downriggers do pull fish and i know of at least two guys who love them and have them out every trip. I ran mine alot 3 years ago and did well with them. Last two years you couldnt get them out due to the 03 fish keeping 4 or 6 rods busy enough, this year i have ran em twice so far. To me, the inline boards, and dipsy's are easier and pull enough fish to keep you busy.

IMO you dont NEED to have them, but they are another good tool to have added to the arsenal on those tough days.

·
GLoomis Prostaff
247 Posts
Coot. I'm orig. from Westerm Mich. and still have downriggers on my boat. Still road-trip up there for salmon. Seldom use them down here. The same money could set you up with great rodholders and dipseys, jets, bottom bouncers, etc.
If you feel you do need them, there are a ton being sold around ohio, because of lack of use. Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Dipsey's and boards are the ticket on LE. I often run one downrigger with a Subtroll 900 unit to learn the temp and speed at the cannonball. Very usefull in determing the temp break at the thermocline and the current speed. They are also great for running lots of lines and for steelhead.

·
2100 FishMaster
649 Posts
Coot, I received your PM about open seats and will certainly have one or two open in the near future...I don 't have downriggers, but I do have everything else. I will probably get out Thurs, Fri, and Sat...if one of those days work for you let me know and we'll see if we can make it happen. Let me know...I'll be fishing the Sandbar in the mornings.

·
It's all about the doin'
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coot, I received your PM about open seats and will certainly have one or two open in the near future...I don 't have downriggers, but I do have everything else. I will probably get out Thurs, Fri, and Sat...if one of those days work for you let me know and we'll see if we can make it happen. Let me know...I'll be fishing the Sandbar in the mornings.
I'm headed to Lake St Clair Friday/Saturday

I'm open Sunday and the rest of the month looks pretty clear.

Drop me a PM here or [email protected]

·
aka iridealot9
745 Posts
hey coot, we are always willing to take someone out with us. we go alot during the week, we run big boards, inline boards, jets and dipsys, what ever is working. if your are able to go durring the week send me a pm and we will set something up

·
It's all about the doin'
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its in a similar thread by him in the lounge I think. BTW I still have that rod holder of yours in case you forgot about it.:)
Last sentence of the fisrt post in this thread.

Coot said:
If anyone wants to mentor a 49 year old on the basics of trolling I am a willing student that gladly pitches in for gas and buys breakfast.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Please disregard my comment im sorry to of dis railed this thread. Mods there are about 5 replys here that do not pertain to Coots original thread because of me if they could be deleted that would help this thread and once again sorry. Coot good luck in your fishing and there are alot of seasoned fisherman here that will shorten your learning curve on whatever technique you are seeking.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i suggest that you take your money and burn it before you get caught up in trolling for walleye. :)

in all honesty i would hold off buying boat and equipment (for the sole purpose of trolling for walleye) until they announce what next years limit will be. im hearing rumors of 3 fish per angler, rumors only. im also hearing from respectable people, info suggesting 4 fish limits will result for next year. also have heard that for sure the limit will be lowered to 5 with the possibility of being lower.

i was asked in another thread how the charters are doing, money wise, after this lousy july fishing season. well i can for sure say they will do better this year than they will next year if the limits are lowered to 4 or less.

conspiracy theorists are suggesting that the new limits are due to extreme environmentalists wanting to limit (eliminate) fishing not only for the purpose of 'saving' the fish but also to discourage anglers from fishing thereby limiting the use of fossil fuel, reducing green house gas emissions. obama has used the term 'preservation' of the lakes as opposed to conservation, along with giving stimulus money to states to do just that. now it could be that obama was simply misunderstanding what the word preservation implies to sportsmen/citizens or perhaps he used the term purposely. if obama (his party/supporters) indeed wants to turn the great lakes into a preserve then you can also suspect that certain guarantees where supplied by states/agencies that received the stimulus money.

its interesting that anglers that have been plying their trade on the lakes for decades are reporting huge numbers of undersized fish, recounting the seasons after the record hatch in 2003. yet, the dnr claims that we are all mistaken, giving illogical reasons for catching those fish, in hopes that we are all to simple to realize the error. sure the fish population has declined compared to previous years, as it always does. but dont confuse population estimates to current catches. the complaints over fish catches during the last month are not due to population decline. it is my understanding that the small catch sizes are due to fish migration not being the same as previous years as well as other factors (such as weather) limiting our ability to catch fish or catch fish as quickly as in the past.

but.... dont take my word for it. i may be just another conspiracy theorist, another member of the so called 'mob', that is trying to upset the good works being done by our current white house administration.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
"I would hold off buying boat and equipment (for the sole purpose of trolling for walleye) until they announce what next years limit will be"

Meat hunter are we?

I don't care if the limit is 3 per guy you couldn't keep me off Erie, fishing is alot of guys passion and favorite past time including mine and you would have to chain me down to concrete with shackles with AK's to my head with my girlfriend being held hostage by Osama himself to prevent from going out and having a fun day on the lake with my buddy's even if I don't come home with table fare at all.

I wouldn't go telling guys not to guy a boat or equipment because of a couple fish man, IMO that's not cool.

·
KrustyDawg
2,632 Posts
"I would hold off buying boat and equipment (for the sole purpose of trolling for walleye) until they announce what next years limit will be"

Meat hunter are we?

I don't care if the limit is 3 per guy you couldn't keep me off Erie, fishing is alot of guys passion and favorite past time including mine and you would have to chain me down to concrete with shackles with AK's to my head with my girlfriend being held hostage by Osama himself to prevent from going out and having a fun day on the lake with my buddy's even if I don't come home with table fare at all.

I wouldn't go telling guys not to guy a boat or equipment because of a couple fish man, IMO that's not cool.
LMAO ! Word bro ! Even if the limit was ZERO I would still be out there ! As Het says, "It's a religion !"

·
It's all about the doin'
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My philosophy: It's all about the doin'

Get my ass off the couch and outdoors.
I'm a duck hunter and believe me in Ohio we don't do it for the numbers of ducks we kill.

The boat WILL happen...lord willin' and the creek don't rise.

I can drown worms with the best of 'em

·
It's all about the doin'
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Please disregard my comment im sorry to of dis railed this thread. Mods there are about 5 replys here that do not pertain to Coots original thread because of me if they could be deleted that would help this thread and once again sorry. Coot good luck in your fishing and there are alot of seasoned fisherman here that will shorten your learning curve on whatever technique you are seeking.
There was nothin' wrong with your post.

A little kidding around is all good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts