Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It's all about the doin'
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Downriggers, dipsies, in-line weights....

Does everyone use all of the above options or can a poor guy get away with not buying downriggers ?

I've trolled for salmon and steelhead in Michigan with guys that knew what they were doing but I want to learn.

I'm a empty nester starting this fall so I plan on getting back into Lake Erie fisihing. Trolling is a different game than the Erie Dearies of the 80's - 90's

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
You'll get more replies for this in the Lake Erie thread. Buy to answer your question, no you do not need to buy downriggers. Dipsy work fine to get you deep. Downriggers, do they work, yes, but not necessary.

·
multi species angler
4,369 Posts
I would bet that downriggers are the least used trolling toll on Erie. So many other ways to get your baits to where the fish are.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I'd start out with good line counter combo's, some inline weights and harnesses and some inline planer boards. they work pretty much year around. you can always add jet's and dipsy's later.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
The good thing about downriggers is you dont have to let out 250 ft of line to fish the same depth as dipsys. And when they trip, you dont have to fight anything but the fish.

·
It's all about the doin'
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some good info....I appreciate all the help.

If anyone wants to mentor a 49 year old on the basics of trolling I am a willing student that gladly pitches in for gas and buys breakfast.

·
Banned
798 Posts
If anyone wants to mentor a 49 year old on the basics of trolling I am a willing student that gladly pitches in for gas and buys breakfast.
free breakfast and chipping on gas??? That's a heck of a deal right there.

I'm sure there's more than a few experienced anglers on here that will help you out.

You should really post in the Lake Erie forum. those guys are like professionals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts