Learning how to fly fish. What streams ?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by JPfishing, Apr 7, 2008.

1. JPfishing

JPfishing go fishing

What streams harbor trout in southwest ohio ? Want to go trout fishing on a fly once i get the motions down. Little tough to learn at the moment but getting there. Gonna try and catch some smallies in the GMR soon but want to try some trout fishing one of these days.

2. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Brookville Tailwaters in Indy, The Mad River in the Urbana area are the closest for trout. Give me a call if I can help further. 513-444-4009. I do offer casting and fishing lessons through my shop A&N Outfitters, we also guide these two rivers as well as LMR and Tribs for smallies and many other species. S

3. JPfishing

JPfishing go fishing

I will keep that in mind, thank you :)

I might need all the help i can get, lol.

4. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

also check into Mad River Outfitters... they are in columbus, but offer alot of valuable information and tips

5. i would try brookville first if you want to learn how to catch trout, many more fish per mile and it is easier to read. the mad can be very difficult at times. the biggest problem with brookville is the crowds on the weekends, but the upside is most of the guys are willing to help you with what the fish want and where they are. goodluck!

6. JPfishing

JPfishing go fishing

cool ! thank you !

7. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

As a long-time flyguy I'd suggest adjusting your learnig curve on warmwater species since they are closer to ya(cheaper,easier,local)..unless you live on the banks of B'ville.Not discouraginmg you from fishing there but trout really aint all that they would be made out to be.Not unless you're catching them in someplace really wild and beautiful where they are native,IMHO and 40+ yrs of flyfishing. Almost any one of our native species will kick their lil white aces.
    Ponds and impoundments are warming up quickly now and the fish there are usually eager . As the weather warms, any stream w/ water in it around here will probably have fish. I've fished ditches behind walmart for carp to steelhead in N Oh and stripers in the Oh as well as a whole host of local criks,streams and rivers for whatever would take my fly(usually bass/panfish and carp but a school of big chubs is good practice and they fight just like small trout. The more you get out the better you will get regardless of what it is you're casting to as it hones the skills for everything you'll fish for later.TC1 on.

8. JPfishing

JPfishing go fishing

Thanks TC1. Honestly just started this past weekend. I dont really have a fluid cast down pat yet. I am doing what you are saying though and fishing the ponds and such for now just trying to learn. I figured once i get some fluidness in my cast and feel confident im going to try and catch some bluegills and such and whatever is in the pond. Ive always wanted to try and catch trout on a fly, mostly the reason why i asked. I figured it being more of my final test by the end of the year when/if i can learn how to cast one :)

Going to a small pond today to work on my cast. Thanks for the help !

9. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

My $0.02 for people learning to cast is to find a nice wide creek with some holes that hold fish. The wide creek gives you plenty of room to cast...and you'll need it :D The holes just make it interesting. If you can just get a popper or something to the hole, you'll catch some 'gills, smallies, and largemouth...warm water species as TC1 said. Maybe nothing huge 'til you get the presentation down, but let it sit for a bit with maybe a twitch or two and something will bite.

I don't have specific suggestions around you, but down towards the OR, many of the tributaries near the river open up like that at some point not far from the river.

Fortunately for me, I just happen to live on such a creek and have a wide area like that with a nice hole right in my back yard!

CW

10. JPfishing

JPfishing go fishing

pretty much what i did yesterday CW. Went to a small pond that holds a lot of gills. Put on a small popper and worked on my casting once i got it where i wanted it, i let it sit for a few seconds, gave it a couple twitches, and had some bites. Caught a couple gills, most of the were almost too small to take the popper though, lol. Hopefully this weather doesnt start to suck like it's showing. :mad:

11. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I agree with the pond or wide creek fishing for panfish. Blue gills are a good bet as they eat many flies and are fun to catch. Don't be fooled by TC1 trout can be alot of fun. He just spoiled because he is always able to catch big fish. he is a heck of fly fisherman no doubt. Trout are alot fun to chase on lighter gear and can be quite fiesty. Ponds with pleanty of room to cast are really great as you can catch gills, bass, crappie, carp, catfish and sunfish all on the same flie's for the most part. I just noticed your in Tipp City. Try Mad River Outfitters its closer and a very good shop they will definatly help you with your learning curve. S