close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Learned a few things on the River yesterday!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rooster, Jul 12, 2004.

1. 1) A kayak can fill up with water in a matter of seconds! I was fishing the top of a small set of rapids. I got a fish on, and started to float down the rapids backwards. I hit a submerged tree in the middle of the rapids, and the kayak was wedged against the tree (sideways). By the time I noticed water was pouring into the cockpit, the kayak was full! Fortunately, the water was only three feet deep, and I recovered all of my wet gear without a problem. Oh, the fish got off after the kayak filled with water.
    2) A kayak full of water is very heavy and difficult to bring to shore.
    3) My waterproof camera bag is waterproof; my tackle bag is not!
    4) A dry camera is no guarantee of a good picture! The below “pic” is of my personal best smallie. I knew that the pic was bad, but it was hot and I wanted to get the fish back in the water as soon as possible.

[​IMG]

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Too bad, not much help on the picture, it's the sun on the lens killing it, otherwise it could be adjusted in. Good thing you were in shallow water, but be a little scary having a mishap on the water.

Attached Files:

3. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Always make a mental note to yourself that when taking pictures of fish, and people in general, always place the subject of the photo so that it faces the sun. the photographers back should be to the source of light. ;) Don't victimize yourself again.

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

The pictures good enough to say thats a great river smallie!

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

nice smallie indeed. glad you are ok. what were the measures on the fish if you took them??

6. I did not get a chance to measure or weigh the fish. I would conservatively estimate the fish at 17”, the girth of the fish was actually more impressive than the length. I started to drift downstream after the first photo, and decided to immediately release the fish (rather than try for another photo & measurements and risk a second submersion). I knew that I needed to get my back to the sun, but the river, camera, and fish just were not cooperating!

7. Too bad about the photo, but it was good enough to make me jealous! Great smallie!