close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Leaky Spickets..any plummers in the house?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Salmonid, Oct 4, 2007.

1. One of my outside spickets is trickling water when its supposed to be shut off, this will be a real problem come winter and I want to get it fixed right away. Presently I have a hose with a on/off valve which is a temporary fix but wondered what the best way to fix it would be?

Thanks ahead of time.
    Salmonid

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

depending how old it is,you should be able to replace the stem.simple operation.turn water off,remove handle and stem.if not,the the whole hose bib will probably need replaced,which is a little more work.

3. easy fix shut off water in house, take a wrench un screw the nut under the handle on faucet , it will most likly have a flat washer there held on by a small screw ,take it off ,go to hardware store buy new ,put back together , turn water to house back on slow ,drain air out of pipes .should be fixed p/s on most out side faucets theres another shut off inside on the same pipe for winter shut if off ,so theres no chance of the outside one freezing. you could also use that inside valve to repair the outside one , then you would not have to shut the whole house off.

4. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Throw on a frost free sillcock for $18 and be done with it.

5. Any Ideas ,,Im no plumber thing just drips after being turned off all the way! Kitchen sink and wife is getting upset,,,help a guy aout so she'll be a little better about hunting!

6. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Salmonid, before going through all that tighten the pack nut, its the top nut between the handle and the housing.
    Kingjohn. Shut off the water pull the handles off and remove the shut off from inside the handle housing. Should be a white plastic peice. Hardware store and match replace and your good to go. If it is an older fixture there my be a spring inside. Pull out the spring with a small screw driver underneath that will be a small black rubber seel. Hardware store matchj,, replace and your good to go. S