Leaking Boat - Paul's Marine

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by CaptKC, Mar 31, 2008.

1. I bought a new boat (2003 Lund Alaskan - 20 Ft. w/ 115 HP Yamaha) a couple weeks ago. I put it on Alum this weekend to test it out and it's taking on about 5-7 gallons of water ever 30 minutes or so. After pulling the boat out, I couldn't find anywhere it could be leaking, but I'm a rookie boat owner so I don't really know what to look for. I'm going to drop it off at Paul's Marine tomorrow to get it fixed. Assuming worst case scenario, can anyone tell me what this might costs? There obviously isn't any huge gashes in the hull. I talked to a guy at Paul's Marine that said there is a Lifetime Warranty on the hull and if it's a defect in the hull, he would make sure that Lund is contacted to make it right. Also, if it's not a defect in the hull, the guy I bought the boat from said he would take care of any repair costs, but just want to know what it might run him...although, I'm a little skeptical trying to collect any money and hope he makes it right...afterall I did question him about it leaking when I bought the boat and he said it never leaked...but was quick to offer to take care of the problem.

Also, I was planning my first trip up to Lake Erie next week to fish the reefs on Wed. the 9th....anyone know how long it might take Paul's Marine to fix or repair the leak? I can't imagine it would take that long to weld any aluminum or seal any seams. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    KC

2. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Marina's are notorious for taking forever in a day. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if he gets busy this time of year, I've seen it take several months to get a boat serviced. If the previous owner said he would take care of any repairs, why did he wait until you bought it to offer. He should've had it checked before he sold it. As far as the water leak, If its an I/O, it could be leaking from a loose petcock on the motor, the bellows could have a tear in them, or it's been leaking all along and the previous owner didn't want to deal with it. Just because he said he would fix it doesn't mean he is obligated. (Buyer beware.) I hope this works out for you.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

it is most likely a plumbing issue. you prolly have a broken hose due to freezing in the winter. check out you hoses. i had a bilge pump/areator hose break and almost sunk the boat. i ended up fixing that and i plugged up my aerator inlet as i don't use them except for dry storage. i cracked dried out drain plug can also let a lot of water in too. i bet it is a broken hose or connection. check for it yourself before taking it to a marina. ..aka sbe023

4. Thanks Van....I hope that is the case and it's just a broken seal somewhere.

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Capt. when I bought my Tracker Targa 2 years ago I had the same type leak. I found the valve to open and close the livewell ( front one) cracked over the winter allowing water to feed back in. I changed the valve and have never had a problem with water again. I got the valve at Paul's and changed it myself. Sounds like the guy your bought it from is a stand up guy to tell you that.
    These valves are located under the floor in most cases.
    PM me if you have any questions I'd bet this may be the problem.
    Keep us updated on what you find out.

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I agree with Freyed. It is most likely not a problem with the hull for that amount of water to infiltrate it.

If Paul's Marine finds that it is a hull problem, I would take it to a certified Lund dealership and work out the warranty repairs with them (unless Paul's is a Lund dealer).

A buddy of mine has a Lund that was getting a lot of water in the hull, and it ended up being that his speedometer hose was broken.

7. Thanks...Yes, Paul's Marine is a certified Lund Dealer and Service Center.

8. I thought lunds hull warranty was only for original owner?

Scott

9. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

I had a cracked aerator pump housing that let water in. Took forever to find it, but once I changed the pump out ($20 at Wal-Mart) it was fine.
    If it had cracked more, or completely broken, I could have sunk.
    My aerator pumps come through the bottom of the transom. Not sure if the crack was due to vibration or freezing.

Brian

10. According to their website, it's transferable:

"Lund's Lifetime Limited Warranty gives you the best overall coverage ever available on hull material and workmanship. From bow to stern, gunwale to gunwale, and from the bottom of the hull to the top of the windshield, your new Lund is backed with a transferable warranty - and Lund's promise that we'll make sure any claims are handled with speed, ease, and our full support."

http://www.lundboats.com/warranty.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  11. The Warranty is transferable....

"Lund's Lifetime Limited Warranty gives you the best overall coverage ever available on hull material and workmanship. From bow to stern, gunwale to gunwale, and from the bottom of the hull to the top of the windshield, your new Lund is backed with a transferable warranty - and Lund's promise that we'll make sure any claims are handled with speed, ease, and our full support."

http://www.lundboats.com/warranty.html

12. Check your hoses, especially the ones to a live well if you have one. Mice can do some damage there. I had this happen to me about 3 yrs ago. As long as the boat was moving, I was fine, but when I stopped, water started pouring in the drain holes.

13. Let me kow how you like yours once you get it back. I've got the same boat, mine's a 96 though. It had a 75 hp on it when I got it, but I recently upgraded to a 115 hp Mercury. I'd be interested in your top speed on it. I'm getting abour 38-40 mph with 2 guys and light gear. They're also darn near indestructable. I think you'll enjoy it.
    G