Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
I use 20# floro with a snap swivel on one end and a snap on the other. Snap to the spoon and snap swivel to the dipsy or jet. Main line 40-10 braid.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
What he said. Six feet of 20# Seaguer Floro. #3 Sampo swivel on one end (to Dipsy), and a #3 crosslock snap on the other. Wet the knot on the floro before you cinch it down.

·
Registered
774 Posts
A couple of thoughts on leaders. #1 Always lighter test than main line
Better to lose lure than everything. #2 Leader length should be shorter
than rod length most common length is 6' shorter leaders increase lure
action. I have used fluoro & mono both not seen much difference in catch.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Just make sure your leader line is less than your regular line,pound test wise.I still use mono 15 lb. for leaders and the same 40-10 braided on the reels.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
30# braid on main line (3 rods with Spiderwire original braid, one with PowerPro 30). This year, 20#Seagaur Floro invisible leader, last yr 18# trilene mono line.

Small boat/short (7')rods= leaders 4-8' long.

With only two yrs on Erie, leader material is still a big question for me. April, May, and June are not the months to test theories. Eyes are biting heavy then.

Hot July,August, and Sept might be a better test.

Maybe.......it dont matter.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
usually 17lb mono, 6' length with snap on one end and good quality snap swivel on the other. for steelies, i'll bump it up to 25lb mono and add a snubber. I run 40lb power pro for main line on all rods 'cept downriggers.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
I don't want spoons ar cranks to spin, there not supposed too. A snap to these keeps the spin down, and the snap swivel at the dipsy or jet, takes care of any twists that might occur. Now if your pulling harnesses than go ahead and use two snap swivels.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,947 Posts
why do you use a snap and not two snap swivels. as you can tell im a rookie at this.
i had the smaller ball bearing snap swivels (ones on the spoon end) break/pull apart last year after several fish were caught on the same ones. i just ended up going to a snap on the spoon end and it wont break or wear out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts