Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading up to St. Clair in Mid October for a fishing trip. I was wondering what types of leaders you guys use for fishing in such clear water? I remember reading that someone was using heavy floro-carbon line as a leader, how would one go about tying that onto their main line (probably will go with Power-Pro), uni-uni, swivel? Would you change the leader after each fish?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
None. As a matter of fact, fishing for pike, we ran out of steel leaders. I quadrupled my spider line fusion in hopes of having a lesser chance of a cutoff. Worked fine and still caught fish.

Frankly, I think adding a leader just adds more points of failure to a rig.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
None. As a matter of fact, fishing for pike, we ran out of steel leaders. I quadrupled my spider line fusion in hopes of having a lesser chance of a cutoff. Worked fine and still caught fish.

Frankly, I think adding a leader just adds more points of failure to a rig.

I would NOT suggest this. If you have been at this long enough and have invested so much time and money into this sport, like most muskie fanatics I know; you want your odds increased as much as possible. I also don't think some of these guys would want to risk losing lures they may have paid upwards of $60 for either! Average price of quality muskie lures today run anywhere from $15 to $30. I have caught many muskies over the years which have inhaled a lure totally and had I not been using a leader, the line most certainly would have been sliced by the fishs' razor sharp teeth....To each his own I guess, and you are correct about the more connection points, the more week links....and that's probably one of the reasons most muskie fishermen go overboard with their tackle....heavy line, beefy rods, big winching reels, etc etc....Theres good reason for all that....We want to not only increase our odds with good overly heavy equipment, but more importantly want to get those fish in quick. minimizing stress to ensure a good healthy release.

As for leaders, I use 80 to 100lb Fluorocarbon with 150lb min. barrel snap on the lure end. All tied with Palomar knots and a Surgeons loop at the top to attach the mainline to; Also tie a Surgeons loop to the end of the mainline...run it through the leader loop and the snap end through the mainline loop and cinch tight (this give you doubled up line strength).....2 more links, I know, but will never break before my mainline will. I also use wrapped 7 strand SS coated wire as well....both have served me well over the years.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
My bad, I didn't see this was in muskie and pike. I usually fish St Clair for smallies, and like to catch afew pike as well. Please excuse my ignorance, lol. I was focused on the clear water part of the question. I don't feel clear leaders are needed in clear water. I have never noticed a difference in bites or hook ups using visible line in clear water.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am good with 50-60lb Floro For trolling bodies and double tails. Good Floro is tough stuff but I am sure there is always a chance at it getting cut, I just haven't witnessed it yet. The break strength of 50lb test far exceeds the drag of most reels we use. If you use a lighter leader like 50 just keep an eye on it for deep gouges. Remember All "Floro"is not created equal.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
363 Posts
I use 80lb Berkley Vanish. I've never had a problem with it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts