close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Leadcore ?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by steely123, May 26, 2005.

1. Hey all-
    I got a question about leadcore setup.

Can I use a spinning reel ?...

I found a setup at Gander in Twinsburg that has dacron line, then leadcore, then 10 lb mono .....do I need all of it on there.....?....

should I buy separate so I can back off on the length of each ?...I'm only gonna be trollin Pymy or Squito so I only need to get down to 20 maybe 30 ft......

And also, what length rod and what is your 'preferred' type of reel to use for this setup...?...

thanks for any info...
    steely123

2. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

The acute bend in the line as it passes over the line roller on a spinning reel can easily cause the lead inside the nylon sheath to separate under stress, as can the twisting that is caused by each turn of the reel handle. Conventional reels are far better for leadcore. Using "segmented" leadcore, backing, core, and leader, is especially good if you are using planer boards, as you can let out the core and attach the board to the backing, minimizing possible damage to the core. The length of core you need, even on fairly shallow inland lakes, will be determined by choice of lure and boat speed. On days when higher boat speed is needed as a trigger, with lures that don't dive deep by design, like shallow cranks, stickbaits, spoons, or harnesses, you might need up to 5 or 6 colors of core to present a bait near or on bottom.