close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lead

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Mr. Catfish, May 1, 2004.

1. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish A catfish in human form

I'm thinking about pouring my own sinker's.An a friend of mine told me that you can use lead found in batteries.Is this true? If this is true I have alot of batteries I could use.I thought I would ask before I did anything.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

You can use it, but takes a lot of work. I use plumbers lead for my spinner baits. Cheap for the amount you get. Stop by any plumbing supply Co. Nice clean lead, melts and pours easy. I have found it to be the best I've tried. Hope this helps.

3. I'd avoid using battery lead. Lead is a bit toxic as is, let alone adding in the acid from batteries. Do some scrounging, find something cleaner to start with. Wheel weights have a lot of crud added in- none of it good for you, but would be better than the battery stuff. Pure lead is the ticket- you can scratch it with your finger nail. It melts at a lower temp and is a lot easier to cast with. (From the mold- not necessarilly with the rod :p )

4. Mr. Catfish

Thanks guy's ,I think I'll skip the batteries and find lead else where.

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Recycle centers or scrap metal yards usually have lead. I like to use pipes, they usually have some stuff in them, but they melt nice due to their hollow shape. Skim the crud off the top of your pot. If you are just going to pour a little, then you could even buy bird shot, it's way too expensive to use if you're pouring bulk sinkers (like for catfishing). Sometimes you can find sheets of lead, that's going to be about the cleanest, cut it into strips & melt it.
    Caution, DON'T breath the fumes off your melting pot. Wear gloves too.

6. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

Don't even think about melting lead without eye protection. One small drop of water or a juicy bug dropped into a pot or furnace of melted lead will cause a major pop with drops of hot lead flying everywhere.That's just one of many things I learned when reading up on bullet casting many years ago. I use wheel weights melted down and cast into ingots for later use. Make sure you have good ventilation.I do my casting in the garage with the door up.I don't know anyone who uses batteries.Modern batteries are supposed to have a lot of calcium and other stuff in the lead.

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

If you decide aginst pouring your own lead, catfish connection sells heavy sinker in bulk for great prices..You can get 25- 3oz bank sinkers for around 7 bucks..25- 3oz no rolls for around 8 bucks..They have heavier sinkers also.

8. Mr. Catfish

Thank's everyone.I will be casting bulk sinker's for catfishing later this year.For know I might just order some from catfish connection.Thank's again.

9. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I tried wheel weights but found them hard to melt and lots of additives. I'd still suggest getting plumbers lead. I got 50 lbs for $20.00 here. That is a lot of sinkers or spinner baits. Pure lead also.