Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to using lead core line. Some questions I have are- how long of a mono leader do you run and do you usually run deep diving cranks or shallow? How many colors out would be a good rule of thumb to start with in 65-70ft? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
5,997 Posts
i run a 50 ft leader, 5 ft depth per color and run shallow divers when running cranks. not sure if this is the best way to do it but usually manage to pull a few.
Well we run big lips or diving cranks on ours a lot. No divers on lead line. Not needed. But always be sure to look your divers up in the trolling Bible. We carry one on board. We have plugs that troll 20 ft, so if you shooting for 50 ft. be sure and subtract the plug dive.
So to go 50 ft with a 50ft diver you only want to go 30 ft, with the lead core. See alot forget that. And they are 20 ft below the fish. We also use 20 ft leaders on our lead core.

·
Perch Jerker
158 Posts
Well we run big lips or diving cranks on ours a lot. No divers on lead line. Not needed. But always be sure to look your divers up in the trolling Bible. We carry one on board. We have plugs that troll 20 ft, so if you shooting for 50 ft. be sure and subtract the plug dive.
So to go 50 ft with a 50ft diver you only want to go 30 ft, with the lead core. See alot forget that. And they are 20 ft below the fish. We also use 20 ft leaders on our lead core.
when i said shallow divers i meant shallow diving cranks. hope i didnt cause any confusion for anyone.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts

What kinda 50' diver are you using with a full core?

How many colors do you use to when your running a 20 foot plug if your running a full core?

I'm super confused right now....

·
5,997 Posts
What kinda 50' diver are you using with a full core?

How many colors do you use to when your running a 20 foot plug if your running a full core?

I'm super confused right now....
Well I said NO DIVERS just diving plugs. With lead core there is no need for a diver.
Well thats easy since a full core is 10 colors, But with my calculations a ful core is 50 to 55 ft. So add a 20 ft diving plug and your going 70-75 ft deep.
I really don't see what there is to be confused about.

·
5,997 Posts
Sorry I had said no divers. When I stated diver i should have said diving plug. I simply meant dont forget to take plug into consideration. If it goes say 20 ft. then you need to subtract that from the overall depth of the lead core.

QUOTE=eyedreamn;1658176]Oh. You said go to 50' with a 50' diver. I though you meant you were putting a 50' diver on the LC.

I get it!

My bad..[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will buy a 10 color lead core and split it and get 2 rods of 5 colors each, believe its 30#. I get 5 foot per color, so I am down a minimum 25'. My fluorocarbon lead is about 50 feet then pending where the fish are, I may use a shallow runner or a deep runner. Being in that 40' zone I have been running 5 color and deep renoskys and stacking them in the cooler.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My leadcore reels are set up with 1/2 cores (5 colors). The leaders are in the 30' range. I run a variety of baits from shallow and deep diving plugs to harnessess or spoons. The rule I was taught was to calculate the diving depth of your plug only from your leader length, so if your leader is 30', and the book says your crankbait dives 4' with 30' out, you add that 4' to the depth of your leadcore, 25' at 5 colors. 25' + 4' = 29'. Point being that you don't use the length of the leadcore in calculating the crankbait dive calculation, theory being that the downward force generated by the bill of your crakbait (incline plane) isn't enough to pull the leadcore down in the water column because of the line drag.
In order to get more depth I use snapweights between the 2nd and 3rd colors where I have a length of mono segmented in. Rule taught to me was add an additional 5' of depth per 1oz of lead using this method.

Also, for attaching the core to your backer and leader, willis leadcore knot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
!0 colours of leadcore depending on which brand will run 45 feet at 2.6 miles per hour that is courtland kerplunk 27lbs and that is with the planer board right at the end of the core were it meets your backing if you let out more backing lets say 30 ft your going down an extra 4 to 5 ft ive done my homework on this i bought a fishhawk td which tells you the deppth your cores or dipsys are running with five coulers we add a 3 ounce dive bomb once all the leadcore is in the water and let out an extra 50 ft of backing and that takes us down to were the ten coulers are running at

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.