Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What pound test line do you recommend for lead core line? I see 12, 15 18 then it jumps to 27# What is best for walleye trolling? Maybe steelhead?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Looking to give it a try this season! Do you recommend 100 or 200 yards per reel? Also Saw an earlier post that someone puts 30# braid as backer line in case they hook into a larger salmon and it spools out all the lead core. Thoughts on backer line?

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is what i i run....

15 pound backing (a 30 convector takes 300 yards). Then 5 colors (150 feet) of 18 lb. Then a 30 foot leader of 12 to 15lb flouro.

I run all my core off boards. If the fish are deeper than that, i add lead to the leader near the connection to the core.

I also have 10 color reels with 30 lb backing and 20 leader for trout and salmon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I run the 18# sufix 832. 5 colors on a braid backing. 40’ of 20# fluoro leader. If I need to go deeper I half hitch a rubber band and trolling sinker (2oz - 5oz) at the leader leadcore connection.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think that jump from 18 to 27 the lead inside goes up in diameter. Meaning less line out to reach depth and obviously a stronger line. I run cabelas #36 with 25’ leader of #20 seaguar. Never had a problem. Why wouldn’t you run heavy? Your not gonna spook fish with it. I once watched my buddy reel in a #10 sheep snagged in the back wicked tuna style while trolling. He then said his lead core could have never done that. Not to mention it’s the same setup I use on inland lakes for saugeye. They love it. But to each their own. Works for me

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're catching fish the size of the one in your picture - looks like you'll need the 36# line!!! Good point about the heavier line and needing less to get down.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a significantly noticeable difference in performance or strength on an equivalent pound strength line between the Sufix 832 and Sufix Performance to warrant more than double the price? I understand you get what you pay for but does that really apply to lead core fishing line? if they're both 18 lb test, from the same manufacturer what's the difference? Example: i've been using Gander Mountain braid without issue (made by Sunline) and plan to replace it with Cabela's house brand as it ages out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can’t see how. I’ve ran probably 5 different kinds in the last 20 years. Biggest problem in my eyes is kinks,twists, poor knots. Even the expensive stuff is weak in the wrong hands. Therefore I elected to go with the strong cheap stuff. Trust me you won’t be disappointed. But I’m actually looking for cabelas lead core on their site and it isn’t there.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Not sure on this , but I was told the lead is the same in the 18 and 27#but the sheathing is heavier in the 27#. And with the thicker diameter it will have higher drag and run a little higher at same distance back

·
Registered
78 Posts
What your saying makes total sense. But when I’m working the bottom on smaller lakes. Seems I have out like 150’ to tick bottom when my buddy with #18 needs to let out around 180’. They all work. Very speed dependent. Great way to stealthily get a bait deep. I’ve got snagged in 50 fow with a floating Shad rap. Erie is a different animal tho. Figure out what they want and duplicate it. But I’d never go back to #18. Lost way to many baits. With my #36 I’ll pull the whole Christmas tree up. Lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts