close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lead core info needed.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Hook N Book, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I'm in the process of setting up a lead core outfit. I have some of the basics down but I'm not to sure about the best methods to join the lines together. Anyone have any recommendations for the best knot for joining the core to the leader and the core to Darcon backing??? How much backing is required and lastly, what is the best type of leader material and length???

Thanks for any and all input.

2. There have been several good discussions on the leadcore subject. :) Too much to repeat again.

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

For fishing leadcore on Erie,you will probably want at least 8 colors of Core on your reel.Some use 10 if the reel is large enough.
    I use whatever I have around for backing..its not really that critical.

As far as the leader goes I like 20lb test Florocarbon.
    I use a 20 ft. leader.
    I want the connection up inside the reel while fighting a large fish near the boat.
    There are two ways to join the connection.
    Remove about 3 inches of lead from the braided line,and just use a uni knot.
    Some people will also add a drop of super glue to the uni knot.

The Walleye guru,Jim Corey showed me an amazingly simple yet strong connection.
    Remove about 3-4 inches of lead,apply super glue to your leader and insert it into the braid..let dry overnight.
    He has been using the same connection for at least two seasons.
    As far as I know its still holding! :D

4. Hook N Book

Thanks for the replys fellows. I did a search before I posted but didn't find much detail in the way of setting up.
    Lewis, I plan on using this setup primarily on Erie but would also use it on Lakes Michigan and Ontario. The setup you describe sounds like it would work for both lakes. I fished with a couple of charter captains on Michigan and if I remember correctly, they would use a 50 ft. lead, 10 colors of lead with 50-75 yds. of mono backing. They'd actually payout approx. 25 yds. of the mono backing. This was in roughly 90-120 ft. of water to mainly target lakers and browns. Perhaps this setup isn't best suited for Erie and it's better to go with a second setup as described for deeper water applications. Either way, it certainly sounds like good rationale to purchase more fishing stuff. :D

...any comments???

Thanks!

5. Hook n Book,

Check out the 3-part article by Kavajecz and Parsons "Trolling in Control-The Bottom Line on Trolling Lead Core". Real good info to get started with.

http://www.thenextbite.com/site/article_archives.cfm

I've been using lead more and more on Erie the last 2 seasons. I use as few as 2 colors and as many as 5 in the Western Basin. 3 and 4 colors get the most PT from me. I spooled up two reels with 10 colors for farther east this summer. IMO many times there are better (more efficient) ways to obtain depth, but it definitely shines at times.

A couple of tips I can pass along (might be repeating what you already know or have read). A long limber rod (similar to what would be considered a good rod for trolling braided line) is essential. I like 8' or 8'6". The larger the line guides on the rod, the less PITA you will have when paying out line, especially with shallow cranks or baits with little resistance (pull). Lead is a thick diameter line with lots of short-term memory (unlike me). It kinks up a bit and won't feed well through small line guides. I also spool segmented lead on counter reels. I reset the counter at the backer (segmented lead) and play with different amounts of backer out until I find a depth that works. The line measurements aren't accurate as far as actual line out, but you can duplicate them, which is the important thing. I use 12 lb Sensation (because that's what I use for other mono stuff) for backer on 2, 3, and 4 color set- ups. I use braid for the 5 and 10 colors rigs. Leaders are 12' to 20' of 12 lb mono. Good luck.

Tim

6. Hook N Book

Thanks, Toolman. I'll take a closer look at the info...seems to be pretty informative.