close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lead and Water Reservoirs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I just had a thought the other day and wanted to share it with all of you just to hear what your opinion is.
    I understand that on inland lakes that supply cities with their drinking water (like LaDue), you are prohibited from launching a boat with a gas motor on it. Even though you only plan on using your trolling motor, this is still not allowed? I've heard mixed answers to this question.
    Okay, well, putting that question aside.... here is the big one that kinda puzzles me. Why is it that we are allowed to fish these bodies of water with lead filled products, yet not allowed to even bring a gas motor on the water that you have no intention on using? Seriously, have you ever really read the writing on the packaging on your fishing tackle? I've seen written on countless items, "Warning, this product contains lead and can be hazordous to your health"
    But, this is okay to use in water that is to be consumed? I dont know about you, but I've lost hundreds of dollars worth of lures, sinkers, and hooks to the bottom of many lakes. Do these items that contain lead "leak" into the water? Wouldn't this be a bad thing?
    I was reading the package of my new slipshots. They recommended that the user immediately wash their hands after handling one of these weights. HA...and how many of us do that? Heck, if I am out on the boat working up a serious appetite, I'll dig into one of my packed sandwiches with the smell of stinky shrimp, stinky fish, and worm dirt under my nails, and not think anything of it! Well, I can now add "traces of lead" to that list!
    I wonder if they have ever done a long study on fisherman, and the types of health ailments they tend to incur as they age. Being that we fisherman (fisherwoman :D ) are obviously exposed to lead probably more frequently then non-fisherman, it certainly makes me curious to see if we are more likely as a group to have any long term ill effects because of our increased exposure to lead... Something to think about huh?
    I'm just curious to see what your opinion is on this.
    Happy Fishing!
    Marcia

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Ya and add to that all the types of attract sprays we use (most of which are safe) and some of the crank baits that say contains such and such which is known to cause cancer in california Man good thing i don't fish there.

3. catking

catking Banned

Not enough lead from sinkers to elevate the levels to the danger zone. The side effects of exposure to lead , depending on the amount, takes YEARS. BUT, and that's a BIG BUT :D , lead and other agents that are fat soluble, stay in your system literally forever, which means it builds up over time. After 20-30 years, then you become ill to the point of no return ;) That's the reason for fish advisories. Mecury, lead, PCB's etc. build up over time in your fat cells, and then you get cancer after decades of eating/smoking/handling things. ........ Cancer needs a trigger, and by- products of industry is usually all it needs to wreck havock to your body..CATKING

4. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I'm sittin' here thinkin' about all of those sinkers I clamped on with my teeth... what are the symptoms of lead poisoning?

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

don't feel bad.. i've done it since i was 7... hope i still have many years left!

6. I think we are all guilty of clamping down the split shot sinkers with our teeth! Heck I still do sometimes. hmmz... Good Post.